Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
balaski123

Bathroom remodel- Should I install an undersized tub?

Balaski123
10 years ago

I am remodeling my bathroom, and wish to enlarge the shower. To do so, I need to install a smaller bathtub, or eliminate the bathtub altogether. A decorator and showroom salesperson encourage giving up a tub rather than putting in an undersized tub. The two tubs I am considering are the Kohler Greek 48" K-1490 and the MTI 54" Andrea 17. Unfortunately the tubs are not on display anywhere for me to see how they look or how they feel. If you have seen one of these tubs, or have one, I would love to hear from you. Better yet seeing a photo would be great.
I have 99" long x 42" deep alcove to work with. Please see diagram attached. Opinions would be very much appreciated. Thanks very much.

Comments (14)

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I don't understand why you can't fit a regular tub in there too. How long is your short wall?

• lisadlu
    10 years ago

We just had a similar dilemma. We remodeled the guest bathroom and wanted to do away with the tub/shower combo and just do a shower but it is the only tub in the house. We ended up doing a Delta 54" tub and I really don't see much difference between that and a 60", but then I don't take baths (showers only). If it is the only tub in the house you should keep it but if not then do away with it altogether. Good luck!

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I installed a 4' tub to save some room in a small basement bath. I am considering a 54" Kohler Seaforth for another small bathroom. Someone here did a Kohler Greek recently, (in NYC I think) and was very happy with it. It is a very deep tub.

But...

Have you tried any configurations where the tub went under the window so only the narrow part of the tub was on the same wall as the shower? This bathroom seems rather large to not be able to fit both a tub and a larger shower

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

It's me with the Greek tub and I love it! As a matter of fact, last night I had a long soak for the first time in a while and I almost posted about the great bath I just had. So funny coincidence.

When I sit in the tub and lean back just a bit, the water is up to my neck. It is divine!

You are right about the fact that the tub is not on display anywhere. I took a real flyer on this and it turned out great.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Nycbluedevil, post a picture of the tub. I know I have seen it before but it might be really helpful on this thread.

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

I am really bad at posting pictures especially from phone but at least the link to the pictures is there. If you google "pics of my new bathrooms" you will immediately see my June 2012 post that includes lots of detail about the thinking that went into the tub decision. I can bump the post for you if you can't find it. Maybe I will just do it anyway.

• enduring
    10 years ago

1) You go to photobucket

2) open the picture, and on the right side of the screen is a large display of links. Or just click on the desired picture's gear logo, without opening the picture, for pull down menu. Then select "links" and a box will appear with information)

3) Select the HTML line of text. It should just copy when you click the text, then turn yellow with the word "copied".

4) Go to GW and in the message box "paste" (control V, or command V with a mac) the link you just copied.

• Balaski123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for your input! I'll let you know how we proceed.
    It is true that it is a large bathroom. However, the left hand wall has a large window that limits options. I really like the light and changing the window size would increase costs too much.
    I've decided to keep a tub. Next, I need to figure out which tub will look and feel the best- the MTI or the Andrea 17. Also, I'll check out the tubs a couple of you mentioned. I think I will place the tub faucet centered on the tub platform closest to the wall. By not having it on the end, I hope to gain shower space. It will be a little awkward to reach, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

• cecat
    10 years ago

KevinMP, could you post the make/model of your tub, please? Looks GREAT!!

Thanks so much!
    Susan

• KevinMP
    10 years ago

Mirabelle Edenton 30x60x20. Only fold by Ferguson and it's California (and possibly Canadian) affiliate.

• qtazza
    8 years ago

Is the Mirabelle logo removable on the Edenton?

• LE
    8 years ago

I also wanted a tub, but needed it to be relatively short. I wanted it to be deep for soaking, so it wouldn't be so great for bathing a baby, though. Ended up with the Americh Madison,which comes in many sizes. It's very comfortable.