Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ebs0303_gw

60 x 30 tub recommendations

ebs0303
10 years ago

We need a 60x30 tub for our remodel job for the kids bathroom. Current tub is cast iron and old, but contractor recommended against another cast iron or heavy material tub, so looking at acrylic tubs. There is an American Standard Saver with curved apron from Lowes which seemed decent (but seems to have some bad reviews) or we also saw the Mirabelle Edenton which did not have as large an opening as the AS Saver, but was nice (but twice the cost). Cost is obviously a consideration, but willing to pay more if the tub is clearly better. If there are other thoughts or recommendations for this type/size tub, would like to know as well. General style.preference for the bathroom remodel is modern/contemporary.

Comments (8)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Why is your contractor recommending against a cast iron tub? Is it a free-standing tub or a tub/shower combo? If it's free-standing, salvage the cast iron tub by having it sanded and re-enameled. They're gorgeous, deeper - so much nicer than the new cheap garbage they're making now. My opinion, anyway. I grew up with those old cast iron tubs on the four legs. LOVED them; miss them.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

I also question why--does he not want to deal with the weight (moving it in)? Not that it's any guarantee, but if you already have a cast iron tub, there's a good chance the floor is reinforced enough to handle the weight, so that should not be a factor.

We LOVE our Toto 1525 30" x 60" cast iron tubs. They feel solid and sturdy underfoot (or under tush when soaking in the tub!), retain heat well, and the no-slip grips are not too scratchy when sitting (very subtle).

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Cat-mom makes a really good point, that the iron in the cast iron tubs retains heat better. Also the point about the floors already being able to carry the weight if it's been there.

Stuff is made so cheaply now. There will eventually be a return to things like cast-iron tubs because they're better in every way. IF it's free standing. If it's the cast-iron tub with that makeshift shower attachmentâ¦.that is something to think about.

• ebs0303
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Its an alcove tub which will be a combo tub and shower, and I think the weight etc was part of the issue. He also said his experience is people going against replacing with cast iron. We have a 40 yo house and on other remodels there have been surprises, so that might be another concern of his.

Its also for our kids bathroom, so not looking necessarily for a super high end tub. Likely it will be used a lot more for showering than actual bathing. I came across a few that seemed decent, and within our price range:
    Kohler Expanse (no available glass doors for this tub)
    Kohler Archer
    Mirabelle Edenton

There was another at Lowes that was quite a bit cheaper, but a glass door is available with it, which is appealing: American Standard Saver.

• enduring
    10 years ago

I would go with cast iron, they wear like iron:) The Kohler Villager and the standard sized Bellwether are both shallow tubs and are standard dimensions for install into alcoves. No special drains etc. They are a great height for combo showers and tubs.

I don't think the contractor wants to carry the weight. If I remember correctly around 300#. But I have had the smaller Bellwether and a cast iron shower pan installed and it was done by 2 or 3 adult men without any problem.

FWIW, I don't think that cast iron holds heat any better than the synthetics. I would think that the synthetics would prevent heat from dissipating to the atmosphere better than the cast iron.

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Is the bath upstairs?

Contractor should use a dolly with the tub sitting on the end to roll it into the house. Put cardboard or blanket on floor in front of opening. Put tub on side and tip/roll it into place.

• cottonh
    8 years ago

Hi Donnar57...we are also looking at this curved apron and tub for our kids bathroom. Our other tub is already out. My husband will be putting it in. Have you continued to like it with no problem? Any issues with the tunnel near where the door slides-did you calk this or anything, does junk get into in at all? Also wondering if we are going to put the entire surround in or use tile? Any words of wisdom?