Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sirraf69

Need Bathroom Ideas

sirraf69
10 years ago

We are in the process of building a new home. We have the master bathroom layout, but would like some different ideas. Trying to decide if we want the tub or not. The tub is a slipper clawfoot. The shower will be a tiled shower with glass doors/surround. Would like to make walk-in closet bigger if possible. The toilet area is 3'2"x6'0", the master closet is 9'0"x6'0", the shower is 5'6"x3'6", and the linen closet is 3'0"x2'0". The bath area with the shower, tub, and vanities is 9'0"x9'8". I have attached a picture to show the area. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

This post was edited by sirraf69 on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 9:56

Comments (48)

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

There is a lot of debate on this board about whether bath tubs are necessary in the master bath. My view is that a bath is something you should include if you are going to use it. One thing you might consider is a shorter soaking tub, like the Japanese-style Kohler Greek tub.

Do you have any other closets in your master bedroom or will this be your only closet for the two of you? If this is a shared closet, I can see why you would want to make it bigger. One thing you might think about is making the door to the closet a pocket door to give you better use of the wall on the lower right corner.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Among other things, I think the vanity/sink that is next to the toilet room is poorly placed as its right in front of (and blocking) the entrance to the room. so I'd want to relocate that. I would also want the closet to be wider. In my old house, our master closet (it was an OLD house that had been remodeled) was about 7 x 6-1/2 and it was small. We now have a very long and very narrow closet (by necessity, we live in an urban loft and we created the closet out of nothing). It's 14' long x less than 5' wide. It is not ideal by any means. There's plenty of room, it's just very narrow. So, I would want to widen your closet from 6' to at least 7' if not 8'. I would ditch the tub as long as you have one elsewhere in the house and don't use it much yourselves. I'd move the second vanity. As far as layout, I'll have to look at that later when I'm not at work!

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the ideas everyone. This will be the only closet for the two of us. Our closet in our last house was 6X11. I'll tweek on it some. We will have two other full bathrooms that will have the tub/shower combo(one on this floor and one in basement). If you can post a pic of a layout that would work, I'd appreciate it. We haven't dug the basement yet, so I'm just trying to stay ahead of the game and have the layout perfect before we frame.

This post was edited by sirraf69 on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 12:31

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

But do you WANT the bath? That is the fundamental question, IMHO. Most tub/shower combos don't have a great bathtub for a great soak. There are some exceptions but it is not the norm.

So you have to decide what is more important to you--a separate bathtub or a larger closet.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think we have decided we could do away with the tub. We lived in our other house for 10 years and I don't think we ever took a bath. We only used the tub to bathe our small son, but he is bigger now and also takes showers. I played around with making the closet bigger by one foot and moving the one vanity. I'm just curious if it looks cramped now? I posted a pic to give an idea.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just another layout. Trying to get the most space and best efficiency with the plan. This plan shortens the shower to 5' instead of 5'6".

• clg7067
    10 years ago

I would hate that tiny toilet room. :(

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How big of a toilet room do you like? Last house had one 3'x5'. It seemed okay to us. Would seem like wasted to space if it were much bigger.

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

One thing you want to pay attention to is where your shower towel will hang. In the last layout, you have a natural place to hang the towel along the bottom wall In the first one, you don't have a place that I can see because you have the window on one end and on the other end the vanity will preclude you from hanging a long towel.

I also like the window between the two vanities. But in the first layout, you can make one of the vanities a bit larger, which is an advantage of that one. On balance though, I like the second layout better.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input. I hate cutting the shower down in size, but I guess a 5' shower would still be of nice size. Wife was wanting one big enough to put a seat in.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more layout. I'm running out of ideas. This one has spit vanities with a full height cabinet between them. A 66" x 42" shower. I could put a half wall on the right side of shower for the towel bar. Thanks for reminding me about towel bar location. Some little things get forgotten when doing these. If anyone else has a layout that would work, I'd love to see it. I'm just not that good at doing these. Thanks again

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I think the door to the toilet room will have to swing out as per code - maybe an expert will weigh in here, but I think in case there is an emergency with someone in the toilet room you have to be able to get to them (say they fell to the floor) and a swing-in door won't work. If that is true, then the doors all coming together at the entrance will be a real annoyance, potentially banging into each other. A pocket door to the bedroom would fix that problem.

I like the version with the vanities next to the window. Would the window be placed so you could run the counter all the way between the sinks? If possible, I'd do that, just to have more counter space.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I could see where the doors could be a problem. Probably think about a pocket door for bedroom and closet. There would be a counter running between the two vanities. That version makes the shower 6 inches shorter. That is my only concern with that one.

• sundownr
    10 years ago

I can't draw it out for you but what about ...

Build the shower along the whole window wall with the door on the right. Sheetrock the outside wall of the shower.

Put the vanity/sinks/mirror against the shower wall.

Move the toilet to where the linen closet is now. You might even be happy with just a wall/no door or a tall pony wall/no door to have the illusion of more space. Same with the shower wall - you may just make it as tall as the mirror needs to be.

Extend the closet to include where the toilet was to make it larger. You can have shelves in the closet for linens. Or maybe once you draw it to scale there would be space for a shallow linen closet against the toilet wall. And you have a larger closet!

• busybee3
    10 years ago

or, have the shower go along the window wall like sundownr suggested, make the window a transom type, have the vanities go along the wall the linen closet is on and then at right angle along the back wall to meet up with the shower--- drywall the section of the shower wall that meets up with the vanity and have the door into the shower closer to the closet wall...

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the ideas, but we really don't want a shower that is 9' long. It would look super nice, but the cost would be an issue

• sundownr
    10 years ago

Here is our master bath and it's similar to what busybee3 is suggesting (with the vanity on your closet wall).

In my idea, the shower wall needed to be long enough for the double vanity.

In my bathroom, the shower only needs to be as long as you want it. :) Where our linens are, there is a brick column behind it and a window in front of it so we couldn't build a deep closet with doors etc.

This was taken with a wide angle lens and it's distorted. The shower and vanity are both 6'.

{{gwi:1387584}}

This post was edited by sundownr on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 10:17

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pic. Very nice bathroom. Does yours have a tub, or did you forego it?

• sundownr
    10 years ago

Thanks! We always shower and we didn't have room for a tub so we skipped it. We do have one tub in the house, in the main bathroom (that no one uses!).

{{gwi:1387585}}

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That did give me an idea. Another plan. This moves the linen closet, so it eliminates another door at the entry. The vanities are bigger here with one being 48" and the other 40". The shower is 6' X 3'6". I could put a half wall on the front of the shower for towel bar and still keep the full window. Any thoughts on this? Anything I'm missing? Thanks

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Or with the vanity moved to the entry wall. It can be a 44" vanity there. Too many decisions now.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I swear this "may" be the last one. Done a lot of rearranging. The closet in this one is 6'X12'. The Shower is 6'X4'. The double bowl vanity is 6' and it has the full window. Thoughts on this one? Sorry I keep posting so many, but we are trying to make it right before we start framing. Thanks for any input.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

I would find it easier to compare if the pics had the dimensions written on them. It may be easier for you to catalogue the pros and cons of each version too.

Though the last version is the simplest (to my eye), it seems like you have a pretty tiny vanity, ie very little counter space for a fairly large bathroom. You have a lot of doors going on in there too. I would consider a pocket door at least from the bedroom into the bathroom to eliminate one of the swings, though the last pic seems to have the least probability of doors hitting each other.
    Not sure if cost is an issue, but I'm guessing one double vanity would be less expensive than two smaller vanities, but I would sure like to see you have more counter space than the one above.

I would also draw out exactly where you plan to have your clothes rods, shelves in closet. Corners can be wasted space, so comparing just square footage won't necessarily show you which version will actually hang more clothes. Then, when you compare versions, you can compare useable hanging space, that might make me pick one over another...

• williamsem
    10 years ago

It's a little hard to keep track of scale and dimentions, but here are a few ideas. The exact measurements would have to be figured out, but a place to start! I'd try to maximize the natural light where possible, so I tried to keep the closet more on the inside walls and also put transom windows in the shower and WC.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like those ideas, but I would lose the linen closet for the other bathroom. It's hard to get everything you want in a certain sized space.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the blank canvas of the bathroom if anyone wants to give me some more layout ideas. The dimensions are 12'6" X 16'0". This has to encompass the walk-in closet, private toilet, nice size shower, linen closet, and a double bowl or two separate vanities. If a clawfoot or freestanding tub would fit, that would be a plus. I need to keep the 2'8" X 2'0" closet in the lower left corner and also need the entrance door on the left wall. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and ideas.

• prbetsi75
    10 years ago

Have you considered a corner shower? This layout gives you a 9.3 x 6 closet. The corner shower would be 4.5 x 4.5 but the vanity would be 60 inches which may be too small. But to walk in and have the tub right in front of you under the window would be really nice. The linen closet would open on the side of the vanity. But a pocket door would probably be needed for the toilet.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, we had considered a corner shower, but didn't know how much room they give you. It's hard to tell about them in the box stores and we don't know anyone that has a tiled one in their home.

• prbetsi75
    10 years ago

We are tiling one in our bathroom because it was the best way to make it all work so that we'd have a decent size shower. The contractor framed it and there's lots and lots of room. Here's another layout with the corner shower.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I'm losing my mind here. This is one with corner walk-in closet. It gives approximately 20 feet of wall length for rods/shelves. The shower is 4 feet wide by 6 feet deep. What is everyone's thoughts on a shower that is narrow and deep? Will it feel like a cave? I just don't have any experience with tiled showers, only the pre-fab in box stores. The vanity is 76", so should be plenty of counter space. It's a darn good thing we haven't started framing yet. Haha

• prbetsi75
    10 years ago

Corner closet is a good idea. I don't think a 4 x 6 shower is too narrow. 3 x 6 maybe but 4 x 6 doesn't seem narrow to me at all. Good size. But my favorite out of all the layouts you posted is this one:

This post was edited by prbetsi75 on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 15:52

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Wow! I think you have a winner there!

Realy, really good use of the space! I like the size of the closet. 76" is a big improvement over 60 for a double vanity.

To address the 'tunnel' aspect of your shower, just make sure you have at least two ceiling lights in there. You could also put a transom window, and I think you'd be fine.

I really really like this one! (Though I'd still consider a pocket door coming in from the bedroom, looks like your linen closet door will interfere with bedroom door).

The only thing it is missing is towel rack space. Though you could put one under window (we have one there in our MB, just make sure window is high enough for a bar for bath towels). You could also put a robe/towel hook on wall between shower and closet and beside vanity. You actually could put racks/hooks on the closet door too.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

your 14:55 post is one of my top 2 favorites you posted... I'd flip the door from the bedroom through, so it opens against the linen closet, not against the vanity.

The other that I like is 13:56 up above. Also, flipping the door so it doesn't open against the vanity.

I also like the first one by williamsem. You shouldn't rule out the designs by williamsem because of that linen closet for the other bathroom. There are other ways to get that storage for that bathroom and/or not as deep of ways. You have to think too, how hard it is to reach back into a narrow deep closet. Sometimes cabinets are better. (or, at the very least, be deliberate with your closet depth. Don't just choose 2ft (for example) because that is a nice round number. Find a linen closet that you like the dimensions of, and measure it!)

Finally, if you can look more closely at williamsem's designs and consider that many walk in closets have "lost space" in the corners (dead space), you can keep your linen closet for that other bathroom by just recovering some of that deadspace from the other direction. kwim?

• prbetsi75
    10 years ago

Breaking up the closet into "his" and "hers" gives you more options too.

In this layout, each closet on both sides of the vanity (which is 76 inches) is 5 x 6.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I like the one from 14:55 you posted! I'd switch the shower and toilet though and put a transom window along it's long side.

Can you post a pic that includes more of the surrounding layout of that floor? Maybe there is a solution for the linen closet issue that might work.

Will try for some more options for you, thanks for the dimentions, very helpful!

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a pic showing much of that end of house. It has the original design of the bathroom included.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I like the 14:55 one also (sorry I've been missing in action!). You solved a lot of the original problems - enlarged the closet, kept the toilet private, got rid of the tub, lengthened the vanity. In our previous home, our shower was about 3-1/2' x 5-1/2' with only a corner door (otherwise tiled on all sides to the ceiling - I don't like the exposure of glass shower walls) and it didn't feel like a tunnel at all. We did have a bench at one end which never got used.

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

What I might say could confuse you more. It appears the bathroom is on the corner of the house which gives you a lot of options for additional windows and light, but your layout doesn't allow it due to putting the closet on the outside corner. So I would suggest moving the closet to the wall against the other bathroom, then you could even add another window along the outer wall next to the bedroom window. I have three windows in our bathroom (still under construction) but I like windows. Two are up high. Our first designer also drew our closet on the outside corner wall, and I had them change it. I think corners on any structure are prime real estate and should be used accordingly. Closets, I would place along inside walls.

I would definitely make use of pocket doors for the entrance from the bedroom and into the closet, and/or possibly the toilet room depending on final design. You will gain a lot of space, but you won't be able to put any plumbing or electrical inside the walls that contain the pocket area, where the door slides into. So take that into consideration if you draw them in.

Ditch the tub if you have no definite plans to use one. If you wanted a special type of tub (air jets, whirlpool) it would be worth considering. Make the shower large and keep in mind if it's REALLY large, you get to clean it. I think ours is 6 x 4ishand its a corner, tiled. With a window!

I don't like split vanities but that's just me because I like the look of a long vanity and more storage options. If it is convenient to the user(s) and traffic flow in the room, splits can be a good design.

Don't let anyone frame it up until you are FIRM in what will work for YOU.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Here are some more options, maybe some useful elements pop out. It seems like it you flip that second bath to the bottom wall you can put a linen closet next to the vanity instead of in the other room.

The bottom linen closet is slightly bigger in some to allow appropriate interior space in master bath elements.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

williamsem,

Thanks for the plans. I guess I'm not following you on "flipping the bath." Are you talking about the second bath? What size is the shower in your plans?

I'm thinking we will probably go with the 14:55 plan. To get a decent sized closet and shower, it seems our only option is to delete the tub. I really don't think we will miss it. We were just curious if it would look odd without one, but after seeing the above pic without one, I think it will be fine.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

That's a 3x5 shower, picked purely because it is the default size plus it's wider than a 30x60 tub/shower.

In the other bath, I meant putting the sink and toilet on the bottom wall instead of he top wall. So you walk down the hall and straight through the door.

I agree you don't need a tub as long as you have one in that other bath. If anything else comes to mind, I'll post more. Sometimes my brain just takes to a given puzzle.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

What about a corner TUB. And doesn't it make some sense to have the closet where the toilet is so you have direct access from the bedroom to the closet?

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We like the closet access in the bath. It makes it convenient when getting dressed afte the shower. Plus that gives more wall space in the bedroom.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry everyone. I've been at it again. I sit and something comes to mind. This one is similar to the 14:55 post but with a little re-arranging. The shower in this one is in top left corner and is 5'6"X4'. The toilet room is a little longer and the vanity is 76". This also puts the window on the East end of the house, so we can get the morning sun coming in. Thoughts? Time for me to quit? Thanks

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

That's not bad, although I personally wouldn't want that much sunlight in my bathroom in the morning! (I suppose a shade or curtain would help to diffuse that). How wide is the aisle between the toilet room and the sink counter?

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There is 34" between front of vanity top and toilet room wall.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

This is an improvement over 14:55 in that it makes it feasible and I would recommend putting pocket doors both from the bedroom and into the toilet room. Would you put light switch for the toilet room by the entryway into BR?

This also gives you an opportunity to have one long wall of the shower either all glass, or glass door and ponywall with glass top half. Lots of space for towel racks, etc. You can put towel racks on pocket door walls by incorporating wood blocking, DH put up strips of plywood, you can see our electrical boxes just past where the door ends.

• sirraf69
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions and comments. I think we have decided to go with the last layout I posted. We are going to make the shower 6'X3'6" instead of 5'6"X4' to make more walking space to the vanities. Will also put a "pony" wall on the left side with glass on top. This size should allow for a bench on the one end and have a nice tiled shower. We would have like to have kept the tub, but I think closet space won out.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH