Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I keep this tile floor?

Posted by purplepansies (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 9:46

We are doing a facelift of the only bathroom in our house. The tile floor (from 1955) seems to be in fairly decent shape, but try as I might, I cannot get it as clean as I'd like. Plus, the grout lines are nasty-dirty. Is it possible to clean/restore this tile to its original state? Are there companies that do this kind of work, and if so, what type of company should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I keep this tile floor?

It's a beautiful modified basket weave pattern that is a very current look. You can clean the grout using phosphoric acid and a grout brush. You may not see the difference right away, but about 2 days later, you'll be amazed. The tile can be cleaned and polished by a floor company specializing in tile.

o

Clean it and keep it.

o

Definitely try and keep it!

o

I've heard that people have used Oxiclean to clean grout. I have never used it. Grout is a cementous material so alkaline. Keep us posted on how this turns out for you. I like the tile too.

o

Thanks everyone. If it can be cleaned and restored, we will keep it. I'll do some more research and see what would be the best way to tackle this. That's a lot of grout! :)

Are there companies that clean and restore tile floors? I guess I can stop in to a local tile shop and see if they know anyone who does that sort of thing.

I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again!

o

It looks absolutely gorgeous and I would definitely try to keep it if it were in my home. Personally I would look into how best to clean old ceramic tiles and do that. I would also probably remove the grout myself and re-grout. (But I'm comfortable doing DIY and tedious manual labor if I have a goal in mind.)

o

We used Stanley Steemer on our bathroom tiled Hexagon floors. Came out AMAZING!!

o

A lot of carpet cleaning companies these days have branched out to cleaning tile floors. I'm sure you won't have a problem getting your floor cleaned up. Once you do that, you get have a better idea of the state of the grout and if it needs to be patched or replaced. Nice floor!

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here