Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
three3apples

Marble-safe cleaning product to clean soap scum from shower grout

three3apples
9 years ago

Does such a thing exist? I use Dupont marble cleaners, but it doesn't clean soap scum from the grout in our guest bathroom. Any product recommendations for something that will do this, but not ruin the marble? Thank you!

Comments (4)

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

I haven't tried STT's reformulated (newer?) cleaning products, but I think they had introduced some that were supposed to be better for this (I love their STT sealer, but wasn't thrilled with the original concentrated cleaning products).

I use 7th Generation Disinfecting Bathroom Cleaner (spray) on the tub and shower surrounds in our three bathrooms. We use bar soap, and don't have any problems with soap scum. We do wipe down the walls (tile) with a microfiber cloth after showering (instead of a squeegee--couldn't find one I liked, nor was there a good spot to keep it in/on our bathtubs), which cuts down on build-up anyway. For weekly/bi-weekly cleaning-cleaning, I spray the 7th Gen on the tub surrounds, let sit while I wipe down the mirrors, vanity, whatever, and then wipe it off with a microfiber (I usually spray a little on the cloth as well). You can let it dry without wiping, but I didn't like the spots that were left behind on our large format, glossy white wall tile. Also, I'm not crazy about the scent left behind when the 7th Gen is left to dry (especially when it builds-up over time).

I still prefer using Lysol Aerosol Bathroom spray for the tubs themselves, the shower pan in the guest bathroom, and the porcelain sinktops. I just find it to work that much better at removing any residual soap scum that might be sticking around (no pun intended! lol), or for obliterating hard water stains.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I got a Cleret squeegee for my new bath/shower based on recommendations at GW. It has double blades. I do a quick squeegee on the tile walls and then wipe my chrome fixtures. No follow-up with anything else. It takes less time to do then writing about it.

The blurb on Amazon says it's "attractive." I wouldn't call a squeegee attractive, but it is extremely inconspicuous where it sits on the edge of the tub, under the niche and behind the pulled-back curtain.

I hate soap scum and switched to liquid soap a year ago. I miss some bar soap, but it's so much easier to keep things clean.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleret squeegee

• three3apples
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What brand is STT?

Our shower floor tiles are 1" square. A squeegee does nothing on them. The grout lines are what's absorbing the soap scum. Thanks.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

STT is the brand. They have an entire line of stone protection/maintenance products (sealers, cleaners, etc.). I am having trouble accessing/locating their website to provide the link for you. Don't know if they are still in business???