Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billwags325

Do you always tile behind vanities?

billwags325
15 years ago

I am in the process of doing to bathrooms. One will have a 72 inch vanity wall to wall. I assume no tile goes behind that wall. However, in the other bathroom there is an 84 in vanity with a toilet to the right. Does it make sense to tile behind that vanity or is it a waste? Would it make it difficult to just begin the tiling where the vanity ends, even though it has not been made yet, or just tile the whole wall and keep it clean? Thanks!

Comments (17)

• pepperidge_farm
    15 years ago

As I procrastinate getting back to tiling I will give you my opinion...

If the vanity is built in, you could simply tile around. Seems like a lot of tile to waste hiding behind a vanity, right?

But, you will see in some other posts that folks have taken out an old sink or vanity and found that it was tiled around, and now are faced with what to do as the replacement doesn't match the untiled area.

I went over this dilemma for a while, and ultimately chose to tile behind my vanities if that is what the rest of the room is tiled like- in other words I treated that wall just like the rest of the room, which tiled to wainscot height. The only thing I don't worry too much about is how gorgeous the tile cuts are around the pipes ;-*

• billwags325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your help Pepperidge farm. the what if you decide to change one day question does come up. But I am having an 84 inch custom cabinet built for the one bathroom and I think the answer is no. I will search the forum for this topic though. I just would like to know if it is noticiable when you don't tile behind.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

My master vanity was not tiled in back. I didn't realize it until I decided to put in a pedestal sink. There is no wall or base tile. So now I'm looking for a new vanity, which I didn't want.

Jane

• chefnewbie
    15 years ago

We did not tile behind any of the vanities we put in our house.

• billwags325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again. I think I'm going to not tile behind the vanity. We will never get rid of the new vanity......and we will save a few hundred.

• frenchdressing
    15 years ago

I am reinvented our bathroom. I am not using tile. Instead I am using the mirror as the backdrop. And special water proof paint.
    I used faux wood tiles for the floor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom Style

• tom_p_pa
    15 years ago

It is a waste of money to tile behind a custom built in vanity. You will not notice "no tile behind it." I am sure your custom vanity will have "wood" behind it. And you will not be replacing it in your lifetime.

• peytonroad
    15 years ago

I only plan on tiling maybe 6 inches behind ours. I don't think I will be replaicng in several years and will deal with it then if I have to....

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

However, in the other bathroom there is an 84 in vanity with a toilet to the right. Does it make sense to tile behind that vanity or is it a waste?

It's an either or. Although the tile can go in after the vanity, and be cut into it, it makes for a much cleaner look, if you atleast tile in past where the vanity will sit, so it atleast gives the ILLUSION that the whole wall is covered behind the vanity. No matter which way you go, though, you're not wrong.

• pepperidge_farm
    15 years ago

Flyleft- I think that is spam- I didn't even click on it, thanks for the warning, but I didn't like the name of the link, and it is a brand new poster...

Isn't there somewhere to report abuse?? I couldn't find it on this site...

• frenchdressing
    15 years ago

Hi
    It is me French Dressing, I am new to the forums, and I do not know why the link does not work. I use typead and wanted to show a link of our bathroom.
    I am not spam.
    Anyway, I painted behind our bathroom sink and used a mirror that went to the sink base.

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog were we are redoing our bathroom

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

frenchdressing,

you mis-spelled the url in your link.

"typepad" is what you should have used, not "tpepad".

Is this your blog?

Mongo

• pepperidge_farm
    15 years ago

Mongo, you're a nice guy, I am a cynical New Yorker.

Sorry frenchdressing- nice blog, when correctly spelled ;-) You are in one of my most favorite places in the world... really, I enjoyed your photos.

I didn't find the photos of the bathroom though? Do you have those on your blog?

• billwags325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was worried about frenchdressing. I did click on the link saw the spam. I just had a computer crash because of a virus and am very careful now. I'm glad it is ok though and will visit the blog. I have to finalize my tile choices and will choose not to go behind the vanity. Thanks again to everyone for your great input! I can't wait till this is all over!

• gslgal
    15 years ago

FrenchDressing - Fantastic photos! i assume you are a professional? Enjoyed your little blog on laying the bathroom floor. Is that grey "wood" floor really ceramic tile? I love it! Can you supply more detail on the specific tile? It would be perfect for my lake house. Sorry to hijack the thread. Thanks.

• frenchdressing
    15 years ago

Hello
    Thanks everyone for helping me out, I am new to the forums.
    -below is the correct link to my blog
    bathroom photos posted today.
    -The floor tiles are not cermanic but peel and seal the link is here to the site.
    http://www.gerflor.com/w/residential/product/p287-senso-rustic.html
    They have the best copy wood flooring I have ever seen.

Here is a link that might be useful: French Dressing's Blog

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths