Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
false drawer fronts on bathroom vanities?

Posted by illinigirl (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 9:07

Or should I eliminate those and make the doors taller? Which is better or considered to look nicer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: false drawer fronts on bathroom vanities?

I prefer a taller door to a false front. I think it looks more elegant.

o

It depends on the overall design. Some people like the drawer fronts to be able to use the flip out trays to place their rings when washing their hands etc.

o

Will the false front match the door style? I don't like the tall doors and might not like just a plain slab front. Depends on the style and the finish. We have this vanity in a 36" and the panel runs across the entire front.

o

This is a personal choice. It would be best if you could see both versions side by side. ie one with the false drawer front, and one with just doors. If not in real life, even drawing it out on graph paper might help!

We had our guest vanity made with just the doors, and one added benefit is that it really increases your access to stuff under the sink. We had a pullout drawer made, so no more awkwardly laying on floor to reach stuff in the back!

o

Draw your choices up on paper as Raehelen suggested. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just for you to get a feel. That is how I made my decision.

Here is my full height vanity door and under sink area with pullouts. It is a frameless cabinet. Never had one before. It has a nice 3" rail inside at the top of the opening. Maker said he does that to add a better finish. Hides the under part of the sink a bit more too. I have yet to get the counter and sink in.

Here is my full length door (I it wasn't matched as well as I'd like with the drawers, but it was from the same veneer I am told, and my peps thought it would be impossible to get it better.)
 photo IMG_0160_zpsa94dcfb2.jpg

You can see the top rail that is about 3" wide running across the top of the opening, extending down below the top of the vanity. With pullouts similar to what Raehelen referred to having in her vanity:
 photo IMG_0211_zps39d84be6.jpg

o

I would prefer the tilt out drawer to put rings, toothbrush, etc., in. I did not win the discussion on ours as hubby did not want to increase the price of the cabinets. Mine will have false front but I will use the handle to hang small hand towel on.

o

Full length doors will make it easier to access the plumbing, and so I used those when I designed my mother's vanity - partly because my father and I were installing the plumbing. I also think that they look better. I gave her four drawers beside the doors, and it looked balanced.

o

I do prefer a drawer, for several years now I've been making the sink drawer a "U" shaped drawer to fit around the sink tailpiece.

You still get a full-length pull out drawer on slides, but instead of it being a "complete" drawer, you just get a few inches of drawer space in front of the drain tailpiece as well as a few inches on both the left and right sides of the sink tailpiece.

Much does indeed depend on the sink dimensions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here