Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

false drawer fronts on bathroom vanities?

illinigirl
10 years ago

Or should I eliminate those and make the doors taller? Which is better or considered to look nicer?

Comments (8)

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

I prefer a taller door to a false front. I think it looks more elegant.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

It depends on the overall design. Some people like the drawer fronts to be able to use the flip out trays to place their rings when washing their hands etc.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Will the false front match the door style? I don't like the tall doors and might not like just a plain slab front. Depends on the style and the finish. We have this vanity in a 36" and the panel runs across the entire front.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

This is a personal choice. It would be best if you could see both versions side by side. ie one with the false drawer front, and one with just doors. If not in real life, even drawing it out on graph paper might help!

We had our guest vanity made with just the doors, and one added benefit is that it really increases your access to stuff under the sink. We had a pullout drawer made, so no more awkwardly laying on floor to reach stuff in the back!

• enduring
    10 years ago

Draw your choices up on paper as Raehelen suggested. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just for you to get a feel. That is how I made my decision.

Here is my full height vanity door and under sink area with pullouts. It is a frameless cabinet. Never had one before. It has a nice 3" rail inside at the top of the opening. Maker said he does that to add a better finish. Hides the under part of the sink a bit more too. I have yet to get the counter and sink in.

Here is my full length door (I it wasn't matched as well as I'd like with the drawers, but it was from the same veneer I am told, and my peps thought it would be impossible to get it better.)

You can see the top rail that is about 3" wide running across the top of the opening, extending down below the top of the vanity. With pullouts similar to what Raehelen referred to having in her vanity:

• Lars
    10 years ago

Full length doors will make it easier to access the plumbing, and so I used those when I designed my mother's vanity - partly because my father and I were installing the plumbing. I also think that they look better. I gave her four drawers beside the doors, and it looked balanced.

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

I do prefer a drawer, for several years now I've been making the sink drawer a "U" shaped drawer to fit around the sink tailpiece.

You still get a full-length pull out drawer on slides, but instead of it being a "complete" drawer, you just get a few inches of drawer space in front of the drain tailpiece as well as a few inches on both the left and right sides of the sink tailpiece.

Much does indeed depend on the sink dimensions.