Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does a deep 60 x 30 cast iron tub exist?

Posted by gothaml (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 9:05

We are renovation our apartment and I. The process are going from a one bath apartment to a three bath apartment! This means I get my own bath. I had selected two bellwether tubs from kholer for my bath and my daughters bath but started thinking that I may want a deeper tub if it is just my bath, I may want to take an actually bath (especially if I don't have three other people using that space to bathe in all the time).

Our architects said of course you want a deep bath, but we should really try to stick to cast iron.

Sooooo

I've been looking but I can't seem to find a 60x 30 cast iron tub that is on the deeper side that I can also use to shower. I found one from Procherre (? Can't remember the spelling) but it does not look like it has enough flat space to stand when using it as a shower, as I would most of the time. We don't really have the space to do 32". The Archer would work if we have to but it is acrylic and the architects would much prefer cast iron do to durability and the fact we will likely live in this apartment for at least 20 years.

Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does a deep 60 x 30 cast iron tub exist?

Best case would be to have a separate shower stall and a free cast iron claw tub, which you can find at salvage places and have re-enameled so they look brand spankin' new, but have architectural character and depth for a nice bath. But, it sounds like you don't have the room for that kind of set up?

o

If you are looking for very nice freestanding cast iron bathtub that will give your bathroom the wow factor without breaking the bank but still giving you the quality of waterworks and such brands check out Penhaglion Artisan Crafted Cast Iron bathtubs, www.penhaglion.com

o

We just have room for a combined shower/bath, so not a claw foot, I find those very hard to shower in (my MIL has one and we just use the other bathroom instead of trying to stand in it without slipping). We need a tub for alcove installation with an apron, or alcove drop in or undermount.

I mostly shower and will likely take a bath once every couple of weeks, or more often when I have my own bathroom.

Thanks!

o

We're doing a gut renovation of a house that has a really deep 60 x 30 cast iron kohler tub. Plumber said it's pretty old, I think he said they don't make them that deep anymore. Perhaps you could check out salvage places or craigslist? I've never had a tub reglazed, but I suspect the cost of a salvaged tub and the reglazing would be less than buying new?

o

I am also looking for a 60 x 30 cast iron tub, deeper than the 14.5" Villager, not free standing. Does anyone make one? In our last house we used the Kohler Mendota but it is 32" and won't fit in my current space 😬

o

I looked at a million tubs that would fit into our 60x30 space. Regarding deeper cast iron 60x30 tubs, there are two that I know of:

1) The tub you were kinda mentioning - Porcher Nouveau from the Ardennes Collection. Unfortunately this tub has since been discontinued, but you may be able to find someone who still has stock. The tub has a height of 19.6" (vs Villager 14") and an overflow height of 12.8" (vs Villager 8.6"), however it is a pricey tub (almost 4 times the cost of the Villager)...so you would have to decide if the extra depth is worth the extra cost.

2) Toto FBY1515LP - This tub has a height of 14.7" and an overflow height of 10.5", but again is much more than the Kohler Villager (almost 3 times the cost) so again, you would have to decide if the 2 inches of deeper water is worth another $600+ dollars.

On a side note, it isn't necessarily what I would call deeper (although it is a half inch deeper), but the Kohler Bellwether is a nice looking tub. Has a plainer/simpler apron. Reasonable price, but a little pricer than the Villager...but again, isn't going to give you that deep tub you are looking for.

Good Luck. I would have to say selecting the tub has the been the toughest decision on our hall bathroom remodel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here