Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Question re: Vanity Top in Powder Rm/Laundry Area

amck2
14 years ago

The home we bought 7 yrs. ago is 10 yrs. old. The location/neighborhood was perfect for us, but the fixtures were all builder-grade and we've been working room by room to make improvements.

We have a powder rm. off the kitchen/living rm. area that has a sink, toilet and my washer/dryer, which are hidden behind bi-fold doors.

Currently I have a white 31x22 cabinet with a Formica countertop and a porcelain sink.

I don't want to spend a ton of money re-doing this room, but presently it doesn't look like it belongs with the rest of the house.

My plan is to paint, replace the vanity lights and faucet, add shelving in the laundry area and do something about the countertop.

The floor is white ceramic tile, which I like. My wood trim is white, as are the toilet & sink. I'm planning to paint the walls a sagey shade and have white painted shutters on the windows. I want a simple fresh look.

Would you replace the stock white cabinet or just get a stone top? If you vote for changing out the vanity cab, can you point me in the direction of quality mid-priced ones.

So far my quick search (yesterday...) led me to more of the same at the big box stores and way-more-than-I-want-to-spend at the bath/kitchen centers.

Appreciate any help -

Comments (5)

• brickton
    14 years ago

amck-

If you want to replace out the vanity, I like the look of Sunnywood's vanities. They run about $300 without a top (which is right around big box price but they look nicer in my opinion). You can buy them from doitbest.com and have them shipped to your local hardware store for free. We're looking at this one for our laundry / first floor bathroom.

They also have a nice white cottage one:

All of them are located here:
    Do it best - Sunnywood

Also you may want to search Craigslist for a vanity top, we were able to find a nice one 1/2 off sticker price still in box that was left over from a construction project. Though I don't even mind the look of these with the super budget cultured marble white tops, the vanities are interesting enough to hold their own (unlike builder grade big box types).

• amck2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link, brickton. I hadn't considered Craigslist, but will take a look.

Also, you mentioned the superbudget cultured white marble tops...I was looking at some yesterday at Home Depot. Does anyone have or recommend these?

The white one they had was very high up on the display, and it didn't look like marble to me - more like plastic resin. But that might have been the brand, I think it was Glacier.

Does the quality/look of those all-in-one tops differ greatly from brand to brand?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>Does the quality/look of those all-in-one tops differ greatly from brand to brand?

I've never seen any that were very enticing. At least in our area, HD often has granite tops on sale at very reasonable prices, although since it's the same price for every size, the larger the top, the better the deal. The problem is it's only one color at time, but if you aren't in a hurry you might want to watch for those.

• astridh
    14 years ago

If the white painted vanity looks nice, I would keep it. It ties in nicely with your white wood trim. You could also just get new doors for it, if you don't like the door style.

You could consider going to local granite/stone/quartz stores and looking at their remnant pieces for the countertop. I got a gorgeous piece of Thassos marble for a great price since it was a remnant. Then put in an undermount sink or reuse your sink (which I'm guessing is a drop in). I like the undermounts much better, and sinks are pretty inexpensive.

Can you post a picture?

• brickton
    14 years ago

Cultured marble is plastic resin (mixed with marble dust, I think). It is the cheapest vanity top available. We have had multiple ones, they are fine, easy to keep clean, and very basic. Someone on here had a 'honed' version that looked substantially better than the usual high gloss, but I can't remember who.