Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I put a toilet under this window?

Posted by imagreenthumb (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 28, 12 at 8:46

We're redoing this 8x12 bathroom and want to fit in a walk in shower. The large window in the middle of the wall is throwing a wrench into every floor plan we come up with. The window can't be moved because it would change the symmetry on the exterior. Would it look wrong to put a low toilet under the window? We live in the country, so privacy is not an issue. This is a first floor bathroom but faces a direction where no one ever is. Thank you for ignoring teenagers sloppy habits.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I put a toilet under this window?

If you were to replace it with frosted glass or glass blocks and used something like a Kohler Hatbox along with a similar modern vibe for the rest of the choices, it could possibly work. It would still be psychologically uncomfortable for most people to use though.

o

I wouldn't mind it at all (especially if you can get a toilet low enough to let you keep the window trim). Dealing with the HVAC on the floor might be tricky.

I don't think you'd need to do glass block (which might look wrong from the outside) but frosted should work. I'm guessing it's an older house? People expect things like this in older homes. It's part of their charm if they're done well.

o

My parents guest room bath has the toilet in front of a window like that. There are blinds on the window. It's a non issue privacy wise, and it looks fine. Their window sill may be slightly higher than yours, but the top of the toilet tank is just below it. As long as the tank isn't sticking up in front of the window I think it will look fine.

o

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, it is a 1876 Ontario yellow brick farmhouse. I was thinking of putting a half shutter on the window. The space below the bathroom is crawlspace so moving the hvac shouldn't be a problem. We have thought about putting a 6 foot wall just past the window and put a walk in shower behind it. Another option may be to turn the toilet clockwise 90 degrees and put it against that new wall?

o

(Sorry--I'm just trying to wrap my head around fixing up the teenagers' bathroom! I think most people do that after the kids move out.)

Okay. Got a sketch of the room and pertinent measurements? Or a floorplan of some of the potential layouts?

o

Men don't care to stand in front of windows.
Especially when it's dark and they can't see who is out there.

;)

Just saying...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here