Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need suggestions for rough shower floor - dog shower in garage

Posted by smarge (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 7, 08 at 8:40

Hi, I'm having a dog shower put in our garage and am having trouble figuring out what to put on the shower floor. I originally thought we'd just have plain cement with a drain, like you see in horse barns for cleaning the horses, but the GC said no. Instead, he bought a pre-formed vinyl shower pan, and I said no, b/c I'm pretty sure my labrador retriever's nails will do a lot of damage and it will look terrible in short order. I was also hoping for something very low maintenanance, as in hose it off and call it a day.

My next thought was to do 1" mesh slate tiles, because they look nice and are rough. Not good either; I've read they flake, and the slate colors bleed into the grout. Does anyone know of a porcelain tile that has a lot of texture for traction, and that comes in a fairly natural, darker look?

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need suggestions for rough shower floor - dog shower in garag

Smarge...

I wouldn't rule out slate...we have slate in an older home (it's about 60 years old). We've lived there 15 years and have never done a thing to it and it gets abused by our chocolate lab and we use this entry way...daily! It's constantly getting wet and muddy....when I do get around to wiping it down it looks just fine...but I'm sure others here will give you good advice.

We too are considering such a doggie set up in a future home build ..I would LOVE to see a floor plan of this area to see how you're setting it up! Thanks.

o

Dog shower? I'm envious!!

Do you think you might want a raised platform or tub for washing your dog? I wash my 3 dogs outside. I finally figured out my back feels a WHOLE lot better if I have the dog stand up on the deck which is about 30 inches above the ground where I stand.

I think a 1" square tile would be fine. Maybe unglazed porcelain?

Good luck!

o

What about doing the concrete and painting it with an epoxy paint? You could even add sand to the paint to give it a little slip resistance, if you like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here