Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mhollie_gw

beadboard

mhollie
16 years ago

Does anyone know the type of (water resistant) beadboard I would use in a bathroom? Also, what is standard as to the height of the beadboard. We will be putting it all around our bathroom as well as around the soaking tub so I want to be sure i purchase the correct water resistant type.

Thanks so much. This forum has been so helpful in the planning of my bathroom.

Comments (16)

• aunttomichael
    16 years ago

I have heard recommendations for AZEK PVC beadboard. We just went with (well-primed) wood beadboard around our clawfoot tub. Not sure about standard height for beadboard but the trim above our beadboard is 40 inches off the ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: PVC Beadboard

• mhollie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your help. I'll definetely look into the pvc beadboard.

• mhollie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is well primed beadboard as water resistant as PVC?

• thull
    16 years ago

Nothing is as water resistant as PVC. But then you aren't using the bathroom like a big tub and filling it up 40" deep with water, either.

I think that, if the boards are primed on the back/end and you leave a little gap at the base you'll be fine. The gap then gets covered w/ baseboard. Priming may also help w/ seasonal movement of the joints.

Azek is great stuff- but it's expensive and it needs a lot of support to stay straight. You can paint easily but it may still feel/sound like plastic if you whack on it.

Marine paint like Interlux is expensive, too, but it might be relatively cheaper to do wood and paint it with that.

• mhollie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks... u gave me some things to think about. I wish my contractor would sit down and discuss things with me but instead I feel like the only help i get is in this forum. I appreciate everyone helping me out.. thanks so much!

• anne7
    16 years ago

I'm definitely considering PVC for two baths. What do you think of finishing beadboard (wood or PVC) with ceramic tile baseboard, tile floor?

• mhollie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not quite sure how that would look. THen again, I truly lack vision. I never have any idea how things are going to look until they are done.

• gabedad
    16 years ago

We used the azek in our bathroom - It came out great - it looks and feels like real wood painted.

A probably cheaper (I don't know) and probably more practical approad may be moisture resistant indoor material from nantucket beadboard. I have not checked it out and only found after we put up the azek.

Here is a link that might be useful: nantucket beadboard

• mhollie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks... I'll definetely look into the Nantucket. My contractor will probably tack more money on to the price if I do go with the Azek.

• User
    16 years ago

The question I have, is what do you do with the tile that is on the wall perpendicular to the floor? Does that come off or does the beadboard go above it? I do think it is a great look and appeals to me, just not sure how involved I want to go.

• peggross1
    16 years ago

Our GC is going to install PVC beadboard in our kids' bathrooms, and he already installed it on the ceiling of an outdoor porch and it looks really nice!

• User
    16 years ago

Guess I will cut and paste my question above-

The question I have, is what do you do with the tile that is on the wall perpendicular to the floor? Does that come off or does the beadboard go above it?

• fitzwilli
    16 years ago

We used tile that looks like beadboard.

I've linked some pictures for you to see. Got the tile a few years ago at Expo.

Maybe you could paint it with Cabinet Coat to make it more durable to the elements.

{{gwi:1386951}}

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

You're asking about tile that is essentially the baseboard? What I'm picturing is the traditional curved bottom tile with the finished upper edge (I'm sure there's a name for it - curb tile maybe?) probably 4" or 6" - right? IMO and it's just an opinion, that won't look right with the beadboard. A nice wood baseboard installed over the beadboard will look much more appropriate. If you picture the beadboard being installed above your existing tile, you'll have an unfinished edge at the bottom that's not covered. Clear as mud?

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

We used the Georgia Pacific Ply-Bead Panels in our kitchen and bathroom. They are very sturdy (much heavier than the cheap beadboard paneling we saw in a number of places, yet in convenient 4 x 8 panels, and not as costly as the individual tongue & groove wood. They can even be used on porches and are more moisture resistant than many options. We love ours!

• kevinbct
    13 years ago

Karen, Ply-bead looks great. I'm wondering how you finished it. I just recently installed it in a Hallway, staircase and upstairs. But even though it's presanded and ready to paint, to me it looks like it still needs another sanding before I prime it with Bins 123 and paint it with Ben Moore Satin Impervo. Did you sand your ply-bead before painting?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths