Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile under vanity?

Posted by sharon_va (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 10, 08 at 8:35

I am trying to figure out how much tile to get for our kids bathroom remodel and need some more info before I buy it. We will be taking the room back to the studs. So, should we tile the entire floor then install the new vanity on top of the tile or install the vanity and tile the rest of the floor? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile under vanity?

i was wondering the same thing... i was planning to, for waterproofing & in case changes are made later on... eager to see responses to this...

lisa

o

From what I've observed, you can do it either way. In my kitchen, they installed the cabinets and then tiled up to them. In my bathroom the tile goes under the vanity - but the vanity sits up on legs, so it has to be that way. Since bathrooms are small, it probably would not cost that much more to tile under the vanity and then you would have both the waterproofing benefit for your subfloor and the future flexibility to make changes later on.

o

It also gives a much cleaner look if you tile the whole floor prior to the installation of the vanity.

o

Thanks guys. I guess I'll figure enough tile for the whole floor then. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as we get to the actual laying of the tile :).

o

Ditto on all of the above: you can change the layout later without having to retile, your vanity doesn't "lose height" compared to the floor, and I think it looks better if the intersection of the vanity and floor has the tile going underneath rather than the edges of the cut tile bumping up against the vanity. Sure, grout and caulk (as well as shoe molding) can cover a multitude of sins and imperfect cuts, but I'd rather hide those under baseboards.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here