Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Semi-modern bathroom: Progress Photos, tub install onward...

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

I had another thread on this but wanted to post some photos here to make it easier if anyone wants, for instance, to see photos of a drop-in tub installation.

The previous thread is here:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg1207570323032.html?5671

This last weekend, we installed and painted all the trim (we routed a radius on the outside edge to match the existing old-house trim).

We installed the Toto Aquia III toilet. This took about 6 hours, a LOT longer than the half-dozen other "normal" toilets we've installed in wood floors. Toto requires 4 mounting holes drilled, and our floors are porcelain tile, which is unbelievably hard. Even using our new hammer drill, we went through SIX diamond bits and two solid hours of drilling. Ugh. But the toilet is a thing of beauty!

Then we installed the Kohler Archer drop-in bathtub. We had been procrastinating this as we knew it was going to be stressful and difficult. This tub has leveling feet, but the best way to install it for a solid feel is still to use a mortar bed. yet you still need to make sure it's sitting level on it's feet, too. Well, our tub deck is tiled all around, and the only access to underneath is at the plumbing end. So it was a day of trial-and-error getting it level. The subfloor underneath was not level. So we had to lift it in and out, in and out, each time planing down the wood pads we'd installed under the foot locations, then testing the level, than adjusting it again. The tile on the tub deck also had some high spots to accomodate for, so it was tricky. When we got it as good as it was going to get (there's still going to have to be a caulk line at places 3/16th thick, but oh, well...) I next suited up for my least favorite DIY job: insulation. The tub's on two exterior walls and we wanted to give ourselves as much insulation as possible. I also cut plastic sheeting around the foot blocks, so the mortar bed wouldn't seep into the wood subfloor. Next we mixed up mortar-mix and laid it in, then covered the mortar with another layer of plastic, added some construction adhesive to the foot pads, and carefully lowered the tub in and pressed it down till its feet touched the pads.

Here's looking from the master bedroom through the hall (small walk-in-closets either side) to the bathroom, during the projects this weekend. I was soooooo glad to clean up all those piles and tools on Sunday night, after literally months of having them there!

Here's the wall cabinet that will be installed over the toilet. It is mahogany and won't have any knobs, it opens by reaching under the door at the bottom (finger recess). The vanity is the same mahogany, with a mahogany top and semi-recessed white porcelain rectangular sinks.

And here's the installed tub and trimmed out window:

Next up:

-shower glass install

-vanity/cabinetry install

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous thread on this project, tile installation, etc.

Comments (9)