Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9268002

replacing toilet- are all toilets the same size for the floor??

User
11 years ago

We have previously remodeled 2 full bathrooms upstairs, where we pretty much replaced everything and kept the footprint the same. (but this did include replacing flooring and everything)
My question is regarding the full bath we have in a rarely used guest room off the kitchen. It needs some serious updating, but I do not want to replace the floor and wall tiles if possible. I want to replace the toilet for starters. At first I figured this was a simple thing, and I certainly hope so -- but my question is- are toilets somewhat standard in the floor space? I mean, when we remove the existing toilet and replace will it fit in the same spot or will we have to rethink floooring. I would also like to replace countertop with a ready made one I 've seen at HD for $199 it is black granite and includes a sink. The vanity is 48", and I would also like to replace the faucets in the tub area and sink.......but if the toilet thing mandates a new floor--- I need to re think it all. The floor tiles, toilet, and tub are all gray. I would like to bring in a white toilet and white sink, leaving the gray tub and floor and wall....thoughts?
Thank you

Comments (12)

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!! I kind of figured there was some standard because I havent heard of major issues with replacing toilets, but then again what do I know. I just measured, and it looks like it is 12 1/2. At least I now know what I need to check. Again, thank you for the prompt informative post.

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

You are welcome, I'm glad to have helped.

• herring_maven
    11 years ago

mongoct's advice is all good. One thing that could be added -- so I shall add it -- is that the two major Japanese rivals, Toto and Inax, both make adapters for their toilets that allow the same toilet to fit securely in spaces that have rough-ins ranging from 10" to 14". (Some users have said that, at the extremes of the adapter, the flush may be a bit louder due to the extra piping between the toilet's trapway and the drain, but -- apparently -- flushing performance is not adversely affected.)

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Your toilet has a 12" rough-in. The footprint of each toilet is different, so you may wish to find a toilet with a larger footprint than your old one so that you don't have to replace the flooring.

Renee

• stone75
    9 years ago

Posted by mongoct (My Page) on Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 9:56

Toilets are specified as having a certain "rough-in size"; 10", 12", 14", etc. The "rough" is the distance from the wall behind the toilet to the center of the toilet's waste pipe in the floor.

Great Answer above, mongoct ! Thanks.

• Brent B
    9 years ago

Yes, I know this thread was started last year, but, ...

I will add that we replaced ourAmerican Standard(?) with a Toto, and only after we bought the Toto, we discovered that we had to move the water supply line in the wall over3 or 4 inches to the left. The back left side of the Toto would have been up against the turnoff for the toilet preventing us from turning off the water if need be.

• aliris19
    7 years ago

Hi – hate that these old threads are so easily resurrected; it's
    confusing!

Is this
    left-side water line issue typical of all Totos or just this particular line please? Thanks!

If Mongo is still here: Thanks!

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Aliris,

You may run into this problem with certain skirted models. Check the location of your current water valve and confirm with the specs posted on the Toto website.

Good luck!

• Brent B
    7 years ago

Yes, it is the back of the skirting which gets in the way of the water turn-off.

Toto does mention the consideration of the water line for some of their toilets.

• TJW
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Love that useful old threads are resurrected - it's great to see what has worked along with any updates. I especially like that I can tell at a glance if the thread itself is 'older' and if it has had recent comments. That helps me choose whether the info is current or outdated - for me ; )). Sometimes 'old' questions are current questions for 'new' people ; ))) And thank goodness for the new info ..... we may run into the skirted/waterline issue this weekend.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well well to update-- we did nothing at the time that I posted in 2013 which was probably a good thing. About 2 years ago a very elderly relative moved in so we ended up totally remodeling the bathroom- took out tub put in stall shower, grab bars etc etc. Everything was removed and all new put in. so it was good that we didnt do partial remodel as a few years later we ended redoing it all.