Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Needing plaster ceiling advise

Posted by BrianKK (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 6:42

Hello all!
As the bathroom remodel progresses, I hit a snag and am not sure what to do...any advice is appreciated...

The shower ceiling at 8 feet high is original plaster over metal netting and cement (?). (I'm sure I am using the wrong terms here)...I wanted to keep the original plaster finish.

After removing the old wall tile, and everything down to the studs, then placing a vapor barrier and Durcock, I noticed that where the wall meets the ceiling there is still a 1 inch gap where the finished plaster of the ceiling does not meet the new wall. The gap is bigger than the new tile will cover.

Any suggestions about what to use to fill in the gap between the original ceiling's plaster and the new wall?

Thanks
Bri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Needing plaster ceiling advise

I did the same thing with my remodel. I am a total DIY'er. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

I kept the plaster ceiling too, though it was wood lath and plaster, and filled the periphery void with a plastic type corner bead with synthetic mesh paper. I used durabond to mud the seams.

Here are some of my pictures.

Hole from the old vent stack that I repaired using plastic lath and durabond. Not your issue but you can see the gap to the right of the hole that was all around the room:
 photo IMG_2510_zpsc3d53d8f.jpg

Process of the repair:
 photo IMG_2513.jpg
 photo IMG_2528.jpg
 photo IMG_2550.jpg

Ceiling gap process using the corner tape that is plastic. I might have pre filled the gap with durabond to close the gap before I put up the tape. Keep the durabond below the surface if you do this. One of my hole repair pictures looks like I might have prefilled the gap prior to taping the periphery of the room:
 photo IMG_2561_zpsa394cc1c.jpg

In between process pictures:
 photo IMG_2563_zpsd07ef303.jpg
 photo IMG_2565_zps066841d5.jpg
 photo IMG_2589_zps741c1af1.jpg

Finished corner where that large hole was:
 photo IMG_2705.jpg

Other areas of the finished and painted ceiling:
 photo IMG_2703.jpg

tub cabinet newly set photo IMG_3072_zps0a2ccfbe.jpg

entry to bathroom photo IMG_3924_zps24daa8f0.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here