Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janesylvia

What material do you use for tub surrounding walls?

janesylvia
12 years ago

I plan to have my bathroom remodeled. What material do you use for the tub surrounding walls? If using tiles, would tile grouts easy to clean?

Also, I don't know if I need to have new shower door or just get rid of the old one. The hard water stain is difficult to clean.

Thank you very much.

Comments (7)

• elphaba_gw
    12 years ago

Thanks cat_mom for the detailed report. Though I'm not the OP, we are going to be having a shower replaced with a standard tub and new tile surround. Appreciate knowing a lot more details about the job as a result of your post.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

elphaba--glad to pass along what we learned along the way (much of it here!). We also replaced a shower with a tub in our MB (cast iron; Toto)--LOVE it!

• deedles
    12 years ago

I have tile now and we are getting a fiberglass surround for our new place and are going to use a shower curtain. I'm going with easy to clean in as many aspects as I can. I'm sure a fiberglass surround makes some people cringe but farting around with grout makes me cringe. When the shower curtain gets dirty, I'll let the washing machine do the work for me. I have to say that cleaning is one of my least favorite things to do so that really drives my choices.

• jakkom
    12 years ago

We had tile in one bathroom; DH hates tile so that was one of his requests to eliminate it.

The other (our master) had an acrylic tub and surround that was cracking from poor installation (inadequate support).

Both were replaced with cultured granite-look surrounds. Our only mistake was in not putting in safety bars at the same time! They are WONDERFUL - beautiful and easy to clean. We use a sprayer solution after every shower and maybe every couple of months I spray some solution on a green scrubbie and run it around the lower half of the shower walls and enclosure. Takes maybe less than a minute!

• Debra Vessels
    12 years ago

We have just gutted our 1950 Kohler cast iron rusty tub with 4 x 4 salt & pepper tile tub surround, with mold and falling tiles and cracked grout to be replaced with? A Kohler acrylic soaking tub and white subway tile with gray grout, done right with all of the right hardi backer tile board, tile, sealed and caulked grout etc... I almost ordered the acrylic tub and surround but just could not do it. I will try to be good and clean, seal, caulk, maintain etc. Tile itself is the same as it was 60 years ago, however installation, backer board, mastic, grout and sealer and educated installers and owners have changed alot in 60 years. I just love that classic look. But I do love the easy maintenance of the acrylic Sterling shower we have in our other bath. It is just a personal choice.

• Debra Vessels
    12 years ago

Forgot to mention, I have also removed the tub/shower doors to be replaced with a shower curtain. If bathing grandchildren or puppies, the doors are just a pain, however, I did love them for a while in the beginning.