Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning bath tub jets

Posted by marvelousmarvin (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 2:05

My mom has one of those bathtubs with jets that is supposed to massage a person while they take a bath. Its got 8 holes in total, 3 on each side and 2 for the back. She's never used it before, but she hurt her arm recently and I suggested she give it a try.

But, when she tried turning it on, this disgusting green algae thing came out of those jets. Since she's hurt and I'm a good son, I guess I'm supposed to try to clean it out. But, I have no idea how to do this. There are no instructions, and I hope somebody with a similar bathtub might help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning bath tub jets

Hi,
I'm sorry about your mother's arm. If you do a search on whirlpool cleaning instructions you'll come up with something like this. We just bought one of these tubs but it isn't installed yet. My sister has one though and follows these instructions from the Kohler website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler cleaning instructions for whirlpool tub

o

I do what the kohler web site suggests after taking a bath. Not evern time though, since it's my own tub. I bet the hotels that have jetted tubs in the rooms don't do this. Kind of dusgusting when you think about it!!

o

THIS is why I replaced my whirlpool tub with a clawfoot tub. I had to do this just about every time I used it, which was rarely, because I couldn't stand the idea of all those cooties lurking in the pipes. I have heard the newer tubs use a more sanitary system. You ARE a good son! You really should tell your mom to repeat this process every few times she uses the tub, minimum.

o

Yes, you need to run them regularly to keep them clean. In addition, you can buy a solution that you add to the water and flush it thru the lines. Having said all that, the better option for new buyers are the "Air Jet" or "Bubblers." These tubs take in NO water and rely on warmed air. Far more hygenic and the bubbles are quite forceful! Check em' out......

o

You need to periodically use a cleaning or bleach solution in the tub. Purge the solution thru the jets to eleminate the algae. As an adjunct, the newer "Air Tubs" are far superior. They never have water in the lines and only use heated air for the bubbles....which are quite forceful!

o

I'm with Spacechallenged on this - I just did this last night in my tub. When I first bought the house, I didn't know how to clean this, and the jets had not been used in some time, but this took care of it.

o

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't outdoor spas and hot tubs have the same problem. So, why wouldn't you want to use the same solutions you use for the outdoor tubs and use that also for the indoor tubs? I was at Home Depot, and noticed that they had special algicide solutions for these outdoor hot tubs and spas.

o

Unlike bathtubs, hot tubs aren't for bathing. They are for relaxing. People are supposed to be clean before they get in. Since soap or detergent should never be used in a hot tub, it doesn't have to be drained after each use, but germicide is still required to keep bacteria in check.

Adding germicide to a bathtub for each use would be an expensive hassle, in my opinion. How well the germicide would interact with soap or detergent is an unknown.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here