Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theboognish

tub suggestion -- looking for flat integral apron

theboognish
15 years ago

Hello --

We're looking to redo our bathroom in the upcoming months and we're researching materials.

Our house was built in the '50s and we have a mid-century modern mixed w/ European modern theme going on with most of our decor and architectural lines. We're looking to go "Zen Modern" in the bathroom, and favoring a soothing gray pallete with dark wood tones. Not stark, but clean and modern.

With that said, we've been looking for a tub with an integral flat apron w/ a tile flange as we have a shower/bath combo. We're also cursed w/ a small space (5' x 7'5"), so we need to go with the intrgral apron to save space on width (eg. can't go 36" or frame anything out w/ tile).

We were at the design store yesterday and fell in love with the Wet Style BC 11:

http://www.wetstyle.ca/en/images/img_bathtubs_cube_bc11.jpg

But since we don't have 5k to spend on a tub, we're looking at the Kohler Archer:

http://images1.hdpi.com/product_enlarged/Kohler-Archer-5ftbathComfortDepth-design_leftdrain-k-1123-la_largepic.jpg

It has similar stylings, would work with the modern look we're going for, and we like that the slotted drain allows for a deeper fill. The only bummer is it still has a ridge on the apron, and damned if we can find any integral tubs with a flat apron.

Our total budget is somewhere around 20k, and we're looking to spend a max of around $1600 for the tub itself. We're also going to go with the Bubblemassage version if we get the Kohler Archer. I do realize it's going to be nearly impossible to avoid ridges or lines on the apron with a Bubblemassage tub since we'll need access to the pump, but didn't know if there were any other options that might not be as apparent as the Kohler Archer.

After running across these forums a couple of times during our research phase, I found it a very helpful resource, so I was wondering if:

A) anyone had any suggestions for a 5' flat-front integral apron tub

B) anyone has used the Kohler Archer Bubblemassage before and had anything good or bad to say about it

Thanks for any advice, and Happy New Year!

Comments (7)

• homepro01
    15 years ago

I a little confused about what you are asking for. I will say your budget is a little low for an air tub. If you have to have something that is less than 36" wide, consider the Zen Neptune and Tao and Ruby. You can build a frame of your choice around them and since they come in 30" wide models I don't think you will have a problem staying under 36". Duravit also has some drop in tubs that will fit your needs but your budget will have to be closer to $2000.

Good luck!

• theboognish
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, homepro01. Took a look at the Duravit tubs and they are gorgeous. Definitely want to add those to the list of tubs to check out at the showroom.

To clarify my Qs (yeah, my first message was a bit long-winded):

1) Does anyone have a recommendation on a flat-front (eg. no design or ridges) integral apron 5' tub. Can't go for a drop-in b/c we don't have room to build an enclosure.

2) Does anyone have any experience with the Kohler Archer tub and would they recommend it or not?

Thanks again!

• billwags325
    15 years ago

Just bought the Kohler Archer yesterday. I'll have it in 3 days and will let you know! My plumber ordered it from his supplier 6 weeks ago and told us last week they can't get Kohler to deliver it. There was a problem with the shipment. We have people waiting to get in a do other work so I was very fortunate I found one so quickly. I hope it is ok. Wanted the bubble massage, then decided to just go with the regular soaking. Ours is 6'. I could of had the drop in but didn't plan it before the windows and plumbing went in for our vanity and now there isn't enough room to change.

• samom
    14 years ago

Bumping this back up, as I'd love to know what you went with?

We are looking for something very similar - rectangular, linear lines, with flat apron or furniture panel. I love the Wet Style BC 11 but too pricey. Next choice was Kohler Underscore but since we have only 34" width to work with the deck would be very narrow.

What we have to work with:
    60-63" length x 34" (max). Actually, I need it to be 34", so anything smaller would have to be built out to 34" with a deck.

• chrystyne731
    14 years ago

We installed the Archer tub about 8 months ago and love it. It's deep enough that you can take a relaxing bath. I have no complaints. We have the regular Archer tub, not bubble massage but it is very pretty.

• jc730
    14 years ago

Samom - We were looking for a similar type of tub with clean lines and a plain apron front. We ended up going with the Zuma C Series 60"x30" (no air/jet features, also comes in 32, 34, and 36" widths). The apron front is plain with no ridges and was factory installed. There is a seam where the tub lip/rim meets the apron on the front of the tub, but that didn't really bother me. Like I mentioned, the apron was factory installed and on the under side of the tub you can see that the fiberglass is one seamless piece. This thing isn't going anywhere! The Zuma web-site does not show what the tub looks like with the apron, but a sales rep sent me a picture and I could e-mail it to you, if you are interested. The tub was delivered a few days ago and it looks great. Can't wait to have it installed!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Zuma Spec Sheet

• Ruth_123
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing this information about the Zuma bath-tubs!

http://www.zumacollection.com/

There are some great looking contemporary options here that area a bit more affordable than Duravit & Wetstyle.

It is possible to request a factory installed tile flange (recommended if the tub is to be used as a shower) and there the apron option is not bad looking!

http://www.zumacollection.com/accessories.php?s_product_sku=Aprons

I have ordered some and will let you know the final verdict when they are installed!