Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoffman_gw

Ming Green Copycat Bath

hoffman
16 years ago

I owe everything about this renovation to GardenWeb, right down to the lavender paint color! I shamelessly copied a bathroom that was posted on the gallery 4 years ago and miraculously was still there when I discovered this board a year ago. If you saw it, I'm sure you'll remember it because it was very unusual. I kept walking into tile stores asking "Do you have ming green marble basketweave tile?" until I actually found the *exact* tile from my inspiration bath.

Here is my new powder room...

... the copycat floor tile:

...this mosaic border is actually a little different than the inspiration bath:

Materials:

Kohler Revival sink, toilet, accessories

Rohl faucet

Rejuvenation medicine cabinet & light

BM "Lavender Ice" paint

Adex white crackle subway tile

Ming green mosaic tile from Short Hills Marble & Tile in NJ

... and here's a link to the original inspiration bath. Anna, if you're still out there, THANK YOU!!!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/gal0918581211576.html?24

Comments (23)

• annkathryn
    16 years ago

Gorgeous! The mosaic border is stunning and the pencil trim on it echoes the basket weave on the floor beautifully. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Ann

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

it's just beautiful, elegant, timeless; that floor is amazing.

is that a post it note on the toilet tank ?

• hoffman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL! No, it's not a post-it note -- I just haven't gotten around to peeling off the sticker that came on the toilet. I had to look, though, because I actually did use big post-its to point out punch list details, so I thought there might have been one left behind.

• MongoCT
    16 years ago

You have exquisite taste! I used that same tile in one of the baths in my place in NYC!

You did a very nice job with the design. Soothing and sophisticated.

The installation itself looks very clean. Nice!

I do have a couple of questions for my own future reference...with that sink and high faucet combo, do you get any water splashout? Water on the floor, on the subway tile, etc. And the soap dish off to the side...any problems with drips on the floor? Feel free to not answer if these are too invasive.

Mongo

• hoffman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you -- I really appreciate the compliment coming from you! I have recently seen this tile in a number of places in different colors. Since you're in NYC, check out Juniors' restaurant across from the Marriott Marquis hotel -- they have the same basketweave floor tile in earth colors throughout the entire huge restaurant -- can't imagine what that cost! I also saw it in black & white in a magazine that's currently on the newsstand (sorry, I can't remember which one).

The faucet does splash a little bit if you're not careful -- but it's not a problem if you don't turn the water on too high. The soap dish itself does not drip onto the floor (I did make sure to get soap small enough to fit inside it), and it is actually very close to the sink so most "back-and-forth" drips land in the sink. The sink itself is very small (I picked the smallest one I could find, since the room is so narrow), which is why I went with the wall mounted soap dish.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Junior's across from the Marriott Marquis? Is there A Marriott Marquis in Brooklyn now?! Or did Junior's go big-time? The only Junior's I remember is in Brooklyn on --was it Flatbush or Atlantic--that intersection there...

Very beautiful bathroom. Bold use of the complementary-toned Lavender Ice--sets the room apart :)

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

Beautifully put together hoffman! The colors are so soft and soothing to the eye. Love it! I'm "green" over that Ming Green marble! Enjoy your lovely bathroom :)
    Monica

• MongoCT
    16 years ago

Flyleft,

Junior's is trying to go big time.

There's the one in Brooklyn on Flatbush, then the others I know about are the one at Times Square and one in Grand Central Terminal.

My daughter and I went into the city last week, we took the train from Connecticut into GCT, then the subway down to Penn Station, then the train to NJ.

We got lunch in GCT, I gave her her choice of places to eat, she picked the Oyster Bar. I love that girl!

Mongo

• thetews
    16 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss, but glad for you that you had that extra time with your mom living with you.

That is an amazingly beautiful bathroom. I love the shades of green in the tile, and everything is so perfect with it.

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

It's gorgeous and I'm totally envious. Somehow I suspect the 90 sf of that stuff that I'd need for my bathroom would totally bust the budget over the $2/sf stuff I'm currently planning. I guess you could say I'm ming green with envy ;).

• minnt
    16 years ago

Oh my, that is lovely! I saw basket weave marble tile at a show house, but there is no way I could afford it for our large master bath. I thought about it briefly for our powder room, but it didn't match the feel of the rest of the house. Yours is stunning. Everything is just wonderful.

• sonicstef
    16 years ago

Lovely. I also put down a ming green basket (different style than yours though).

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

mongo--she's been brought up right :) Is this the daughter who is deciding on colleges?

And hm, Junior's outside of Bklyn. I guess change happens, and they deserve it, they're an institution...hope it doesn't ruin their unique vibe.

• MongoCT
    16 years ago

Yup, the same daughter, my one and only. My son is a high school sophomore.

• budge1
    16 years ago

Beautiful! I'm so glad to see someone else copy that bath. I stared at those pics for ages, wondering if I could commit to ming green.

All your baths are lovely hoffman. You're inspiration for the rest. Thanks for posting.

• vegas_t
    16 years ago

Very very beautiful!

• dlm99
    16 years ago

Hoffman...your bathroom is beautiful. I must ask you how high off the floor is the tile? I am struggling with this re my tile layout & need some advise.
    thanks,donna

• hoffman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The tile in this bathroom goes up to about 56" (48" of subway tile + about 8" for the trim pieces and mosaic border) above the floor -- which is higher than you would normally go. The reason I did it so high is because I didn't want the decorative tile border to hit the medicine cabinet in an awkward location (i.e., I didn't want to have to cut into one of the trim pieces or the strip of mosaic to fit the bottom wood trim of the medicine cabinet). A downside of having the tile so high is that the light switch/power outlet is also higher than normal (since I didn't want to put that in the middle of the tile, either) -- so young kids can't turn on the lights by themselves.

I think 48" is a more standard height -- but I would think about how the tile will fall relative to any other elements you need to work around (e.g., medicine cabinets, windows, light switches/outlets, etc.

Here's another bath that I tiled up to 51" (48" to the top of the subway tile plus 3" of trim) -- the black liner ended up fitting in perfectly with the bottom trim piece on the medicine cabinet:

• dlm99
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info re the height of tile.. I will probably end up at abt 53" to top of chair rail tile...Not sure how to post pictures. Bath is in progress & am waiting for the tile to arrive. I am using the 6x6 field tile in ivory to height of 44" then the braid in sedona/burgundy color (1/2") topped by 4x4 tiles installed on the diagonal w/every 3rd or 4th tile the floral life deco rose in sedona. This will be topped w/the chair rail in sedona color. How would I post the bathroom layout?
    ~Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: gainey tiles

• brutuses
    16 years ago

beautiful bath!!

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

dlm, we are ending up about the same place for tile (with higher switches, although outlets are lower and in the field tile). I had a big argument with my pain in the butt electrician about how TERRIBLE it would look (he's my brother in law ;) and a sweetie otherwise except when it comes to wanting to do something he disagrees with electrical-wise) but all of our switches were placed at 4'8" oc off the subfloor to clear the planned higher chair rail. I think it's a great look though. The decision was also to accommodate not having the tile hit the medicine cabinet/mirror at a strange place (and they had to be mounted a bit higher than I'd like due to 6'3 husband). It's not installed yet but here's what it will look like:

• simoneb
    15 years ago

Truly spectacular!

• anitabloom
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! Where did you get the leaf border? Thanks.