Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shappy_gw

Anybody not use glass door on shower?

shappy
9 years ago

In the beginning phase of planning a bathroom remodel on a 35 year old bathroom that is mainly for guests. Currently has a tub and enclosed shower with a glass enclosure. I despise the glass enclosure due to maintenance/cleaning/water spotting issues and would love to remove the tub and just build a large shower with no or minimal glass. Anybody do that? Pictures?? or did anybody forgo the glass and just put up a shower curtain?

Comments (22)

• emma
    9 years ago

I do. My last home was already built when we bought it. I hated cleaning the doors and the track. I talked to the builder of the new home about "no doors". I was so afraid I would end up with doors anyway, I put a large note on the wall reminding the installers. I have colors in my home that blend all the way through, pale colors. The shower curtains are a way to add color to the colorless walls and no cleaning. The guest bathroom has no vinyl curtain, it only has pretty colored fabric curtain. My guests are only family and they use the shower in the master bathroom.

• crl_
    9 years ago

We enlarged and remodelled our master bathroom about 18 months ago. We have a shower in the bathtub and have a shower curtain. We used a curved shower curtain rod which really helps the showering space feel bigger. I'm very happy with it. I bought an inexpensive water and mold resistant fabric shower curtain off amazon so there is no plastic liner and it is very easy to wash in the machine.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

My shower curtains always got moldy no matter what I did so I am thrilled to have a glass door. It's so minimal (frameless) that you can barely see it and it is coated with a film that prevents it from getting water spots.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have a setup like crl_. I love it so much. Yesterday I washed my curtain for the first time in 7 months, although there was no dirt or buildup or mold or anything. Out of the washer, hung it straight back up. Best $20 I ever spent.

[Actually I lied about the best $20 I ever spent. That honor goes to the MLB At-Bat app.]

This post was edited by linelle on Sat, Jan 17, 15 at 12:43

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I have both. One bathroom, shower stall has a glass door. Easy to clean as I rinse down the shower after each use and then squeegee. This all takes less than 30 seconds. Each to clean each week with lysol bathroom cleaner. No track for stuff to get built up in.

Other bathroom has a washable fabric liner. It had a sliding glass door we removed. It is easy to throw in the washer and dryer. Much better than the previous glass which had a track. The bottom edge of mine does get a little mildrewy but soaking in bleach helps.

I personally would not like to shower in a big open space with no glass or curtain. Seems like it would be drafty with the fan running on all but the hottest days. My glass is clear.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Off topic: Linelle, my ds loves the MLB at-bat app. Best hidden reading assignment ever for an 11 year old baseball-obsessed kid!

As far as the shower curtain getting moldy, mine has started to grow that pink mold a couple of times. I just throw it in the washer on hot with the bath towels and it comes out completely clean. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I think it has only been washed three times in 18 months. Very low effort and I don't need to rely on other family members to regularly squeegee or anything.

• shappy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe my problem is my hard water spots. What can you put on the glass to make it so it won't get all spotted up?
    I was thinking more of like making a partial wall with a little glass and leaving the rest open. Anybody do this?

• baltomom_gw
    9 years ago

I had glass in my old house and I hated it. It got so dirty and looked horrible, and no one ever cleaned it but me. So in my new house I have a pretty shower curtain I bought at TJ Maxx. It's sort of lacey, and I have a polyester liner that I throw in the wash every few months when the bottom gets that pinky mold, and it gets clean. Much easier than nagging the family to clean the glass, which never works. I do like the open look of glass, but my shower curtain is white, and it's pulled back during the day, so it doesn't close off the shower space in the bathroom, which is pretty small. Plus it's waaaaay cheaper than glass!

• suzanne10023
    9 years ago

I have a very high ceiling in my bathroom, and a corner spa tub. I put a track on the ceiling and suspended the shower curtain from ball chains - so that there's a foot or so of airspace above the curtain. (It's plain white water-resistant fabric like a London Fog raincoat.) Very airy, the curtain doesn't blow inward, and it disappears almost entirely when you push it back.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I just did three new showers in our beachhouse reno. I used custom tile, including Ann Sacks, and expensive fixtures. I did not ues glass doors. It is a 1904 house and i felt they would look too modern. I used simple white cotton shower curtains with the old fashioned roller ball rings. Love them. If I ever change my mind, its easy to add a shower door.

• homepro01
    9 years ago

There is an option on glass doors to have add a stain resistance surface to them. This allows soap scum to clean off easily. I can't think if the name now. I personally love shower curtains. I am remodeling a tub shower and I will hang a track from the ceiling. I may do the same thing in a small all shower bathroom also to save space and money:-)
    Good luck!

• LE
    9 years ago

The bathroom we just finished has a glass panel between the shower and toilet, but no door. I've only used it once, but it didn't seem cold to me. We use liquid soap and squeegee the panel after use, just as we do at home. Three swipes takes a few seconds. The glass doesn't need a full cleaning very often that way. An original bathroom in the house had sliding glass doors for the tub/shower combo and we were using bar soap back then. Man, I hated cleaning that thing, especially the tracks! It has a shower curtain now.

• sas95
    9 years ago

We have a shower curtain instrad of glass in the guest bath. I like the fact that when the curtain gets grungy, we can just replace it. This shower does not get used much, and I saw no reason to use glass. Very happy with this decision.

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

In both my master bath and hall bath, we have (almost) no glass or shower curtains. That was my one non-negotiable thing when I renovated. The key to being able to get away with no door or curtain is to have a rain shower head that comes straight down rather than a regular head that sprays on an angle. Our master bathroom shower is 4 x 5 with a rain head, a shower head on a slide bar and three body sprays. There is a half wall on the side where you step in with a small bit of glass on top to protect my cabinets next to the shower. In our hall bath, which is a tub/shower with a four foot tub with a one foot step in front of it, the water does not escape. Since you are going to have a fairly large shower, it seems like you might be able to do what I did.

• williamsem
    9 years ago

We ditched the grimy door tracks in favor of a curved rod with double hook roller ball hangers. Fantastic! Love the extra room.

We went with low maintenance for everything we could. I know we'd have scuzzy glass if we went that route, and everything in the shower would be visible. This way we can toss the liner in the washer as needed and change the look of the room easily with a new shower curtain.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I can't believe I've come full circle from shower curtains to glass doors back to shower curtains. I thought I was so clever when I discovered clear plastic curtains. Ah, the smell. At least they could be thrown away when they became grungy.

So, my remodeled guest bath has a curved rod and a single, light, airy white shower curtain. LOVE IT!!! After it dries, which doesn't take long, I pull it off to one side and the look is better than pristine glass.

I love my guest bath so that's where I shower. I really want to remodel my very small master bath and return to that space. I don't have a tub in there, only a shower, but it's the same size alcove as a bath/tub would require. Currently it has by-pass glass doors on a grungy track. I'd love to just go with a curtain (if I remodel). I'd love it if some of you could post pics of your shower-only with a fabric curtain. It would seem that a sizable curb would be needed to block water egress at the bottom. Does the curtain have to come all the way to the shower floor? I am also finding that there is no blowing of the curtain during a shower. I have a window in the shower alcove and no fan.

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

Just a quick question for williamsem...

would your shower walls be solid panels? If so, who makes them.

Thanks shappy, for letting me hijack a quick one. I appreciate your question about a curtain in place of a door... I'm in the process of making that decision too.

• LE
    9 years ago

I'm not williamsem, but we did use solid panels on our other shower. They are the ones from Swanstone. Not cheap at all, but I'm hoping they prove easy to keep clean.

• oasisowner
    9 years ago

We hated cleaning the glass at my sister's house. When we remodeled the bathrooms here, we went with Swanstone panels, curved rod, and shower curtains. They are so easy to keep clean!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

What do solid Swanstone panels look like? Photos would help. How high does the curb need to be to ensure the curtain stays inside during a shower?

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I had a shower stall with a curtain, it worked quite well and I miss it (different home now).

• oasisowner
    9 years ago

linelle,

Here is a link to the Swanstone site. There are pictures of their tub and shower panels. We have the Swanstone panels as a tub surround in one bathroom and as a shower with the shower pan (4 1/2 in curb). The curtain stays inside the shower pan just fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swanstone

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio