Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone still use shower/tub combo stalls?

Posted by MAchanteuse (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 0:56

I did a search and didn't immediately find anything on this topic. But I'm not sure what to call these things! Our late 70s house has two full baths and both have the same (fiberglass?) shower/tub stall. With our remodel we are doing separate tub and shower in the master, but the kids' bath will stay the same, plus we are planning to add tub and shower to the first floor bathroom. Right now neither one of those will get a ton of use, but as the kids (7 and 10) get older I'm guessing each kid will claim one tub as his/her own.

I figured to save money we would skip tiling those rooms and put in a newer version of the tub/shower combo. It looks like things have changed, though, and those kind of stalls aren't readily (or at all?) available now. I'm not interested in the Bath Fitters route.

I wouldn't say we're doing a budget remodel, but we're not looking to overspend where it doesn't make sense. What is the best quality option that doesn't cost a fortune? Just get some basic tile and a decent tub and be done with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone still use shower/tub combo stalls?

They are still very popular. The most recommended brand is Sterling by Kohler - a material called Vikrell that is very strong - and a snap and lock systems that is leak proof. There are installation videos on Youtube. The problem that you hear about them is that the panels are usually damaged by poor handling in poor warehouse conditions, such as Home Depot. So you need to be prepared to open the box and inspect before taking home. There are several designs to choose from and even a deep soaking tub version. The tubs need to be set in a bed of mortar. A skilled handyman can install them or it is a nice DIY - read the Sterling directions and watch their videos. Make sure your framework is straight, plumb, true, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sterling shower/bath combos

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 22:58

o

Oh, okay, thanks! I went to the Kohler site and didn't see anything, where I know I had seen them three years ago. I didn't realize they were under a different company now. I'll check it out!

o

I think they are probably much more popular in the general population than you would think if you went by GW or even Houzz. My Mom built a fairly high end home 7 years ago, and both her guest baths have those surrounds, definitely easy to keep clean, and she doesn't have to worry about water leaking, mold forming, etc. I bought all the fixtures for my Master BR from a plumbing supply place, and noticed that they had lots of these sitting out in their yard. I would check one of your local plumbing supply places, they will probably negotiate on price with you, and chances are selection and price will be better than your local big box store.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here