Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldstox

Almost finished bath

goldstox
11 years ago

A lot of hard work and went 1k over budget but well worth it.

Comments (37)

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Needs to be sealed and cleaned.

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toilet area.

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More of shower.

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Vanity area. Needs some work still.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!!! Pics were sideways (except for last one), but even with that, it still looks great! Tile info???

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Cat-mom, the marble goes by three or four different names. Depends what distributes you get it from. Marmarda marble, Equater Marmada, Mink Marble. I just call it Pinsrtripe. I was lucky, I purchased it on Craigslst and the moldings and mosaic were purchased at Oracle tile and stone here in Anaheim California not too far from my house. I'm not sure why the pics came out sideways. I'll look into it. Thanx.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

They are right side up when viewed on my iPad. Did you by chance take the pics with an iPhone or iPad? The sideways thing happens sometimes if I take pics with those devices facing a certain way.

It really looks spectacular so far and so different! Can't wait to see it all done!

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I see what you are saying now. Yes, pictures were taken with my Ipad. Im looking at them right now on my desk top and I see they're sideways. I'll post some finished pictures next week. I was trying to do something different with high end materials at no more than 10k. I did most of the design, layout, demo, tile work, etc. . What really got me is the custom vanity and the shower glass. The amount of work was a little overwhelming for me at times. I ended getting a little bit of help from some friends whom I did pay. It was a complete gut and I moved the single vanity and placed it in what was then a closet. I re piped to copper code and redid the drains using pcv. Didnt change the placing of shower or toilet although there was a full wall between the toilet and shower and I just made a pony wall. All that will eventually have glass.
    I've been collecting parts for this project for over two years. Craigslsit was my best friend along with clearance items at pacific Sales.

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hopefully these will come out straight.

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

triangle bench with shower niche.

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really got inspiration from this site. The community was very helpful specially in the design aspect. Thank you guys!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Very nice! How high is your ceiling?

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Writers block, my ceilings are standard 96". Actually I had to float the subfloors about an in. So maybe 95". Originally the ceiling was 84 in since it was a late 1950s construction. Drop ceilings were all the rage back then. Thank you for looking.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

We saved a lot of money, too, by demo'ing our bathrooms ourselves, and DH doing all the construction. I did the painting. We used a plumber and a tile guy. The savings on the construction, and tile and some fixture discounts, allowed us to put together nicer bathrooms than we otherwise would have been able to do. And have toasty warm floors in the winter, too! :)

Shower glass is a killer! We planned on tubs for the two main bathrooms, and so, did not want glass in either one anyway. Splurged on starphire glass in the guest bathroom and saved $$$ by NOT using glass at all in the other two bathrooms.

I love your marble! What a showstopper!

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow- cat mom have you post any of those pics yet. I'm sure it turned out awesome. I too was going to go with star fire but my glass guy gave me a price I couldn't refuse in the regular 3/8 since he had a container full. Your heated floors sound cool.!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Thanks, goldstox. I envy your basket chandelier--I only have 84" ceilings in the baths here.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Can't seem to find the finished pics threads, but will link to my photobucket albums for you from my laptop tomorrow.

Yes, floor heat is a much appreciated "splurge" this time of year!

This post was edited by cat_mom on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 0:07

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I love your marble. A wild and unique shower! What a lot of work it must have been. It must be so gratifying to be near the end of the project. I just finished my bathroom this week after 7 years of starts and stops, so I admire people who get in there and get it done. Congratulations on a job well done.
    Renee

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Renee. Like I said before, I've been collecting parts over two years ago. Either on clearance or showroom stuff. It'll probably take me another month or so before We can use it. Thank God we have two baths. Regards and best of luck.

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

Wowza! Gorgeous - love it! Just curious - what is the finished width of your shower?

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

goldstox, I still can't seem to find the original finished bathrooms threads, but I linked to my Photobucket albums below. You can find the guest (downstairs) bathroom album, and before/after albums for our hall bath and MB via this link.

FWIW, we used 3/8" rather than 1/2" glass for the guest bathroom, so saved there, too. It feels and works perfectly fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: cat_mom's PB Bathroom Album

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Phylhl, the shower is 60" by 39 in with.

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cat_mom, I saw the pictures via photo bucket. Very well done! Love the backsplash in your master. In your kitchen, did you use Cherry wood? Beautiful.

• sofla
    11 years ago

very nice. Love the shower floor.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Thanks goldstox!

Yes, the kitchen cabs are cherry with a very "watered-down" Harvest Gold stain (they looked like natural cherry when they were delivered).

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glass in finally.

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Vanity area almost finished. Need to grout and polish edges.

• camii41
    11 years ago

your bathroom is stunning. can i ask what size your vanity is?

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Camii41- thank you. The size of the vanity is a standard 60in. It's custome made, solid maple with a dark expresso finish. It was actually cheaper than pre made.

• anmicki
    11 years ago

That is one of the most unique and beautiful showers I have ever seen. I hope you are extremely proud of yourself. BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL!!

• onedog3cats
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!! What kind of lights did you use at the vanity?

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Onedog3cats thank you. I used pottery barn sconces which I bought as a close out sale. I'm still looking for the globes though. I'm thinking I should've used only two because its a lot if light.

• onedog3cats
    11 years ago

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. It is very similar to what we want to do in our guest bath. I think the three fixtures look great...it looks balanced. Maybe a different light bulb if it is too much light? We are thinking of using similar mirrors with sconces on each side and in the middle. But there isn't enough room on the sides for the light bars I selected. So now we are considering square mirrors with the light bars over the mirrors and one installed vertically between the mirrors. I don't want it to look like two large eyes when you walk in the bathroom :)

• kam76
    11 years ago

I just want to say holy cow that is a beautiful shower. Awesome job, can't believe it was a DIY. Have you gotten to enjoy it?

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Than you kam 76. Yes we are using bathroom now but I still need to finish minor details. We have a lot of stuff going on so I really haven't had a chance to finish. I'm trying to collect stuff for my master bathroom remodel and working on backyard. If that is not enough, we are expecting our second baby. I work nights so getting sleep is also very hard. We are in no hurry to hurry. We learned to be patient and that's how's we save a lot of $$$ on particular items and labor. Are you currently working on a project?

• goldstox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kam76. I meant to say I'm working on master bedroom now not bath.

• kam76
    11 years ago

Sounds like you have your hands full with all those projects. Congratulations and good luck with the second baby. In some ways it is easier- you know more what you are doing- in some ways it is more than 2x as hard. :)

We are building new home and like you I love to stalk craigslist. I have this whole list of things I am looking for that I check every other day or so. It is amazing the deals you can get if you are ready to pounce.