Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happyheart2_gw

Aqua Mix grout colorant on Mapei grout?

happyheart2
10 years ago

Can anyone advise what shade of Aqua Mix grout colorant might be a close match in shade to Mapei "pale umber" sanded grout? Or close to Mapei "chamois"?

I can't get a good enough color accuracy on my computer screen from the online color charts to choose well! And I can't find Aqua Mix grout colorant in stores, so would need to order it.

Due to a series of unfortunate events, I have 3 different (sort of similar) colors of Mapei grout on my bathroom porcelain tile. (And a 4th grout color in the adjoining hallway. which is fine.)

I love the hallway but need to "fix" the bathroom.

Our small bathroom was started with Mapei "chamois", but when part of the floor had to be taken up and redone, Mapei "pewter" was used in error...then Mapei "malt" was used to finish up the bullnose baseboard and the tile that's going on the wall by the shower and the backsplash!

The "chamois" and the "malt" are surprisingly similar in tone, but the pewter looks too grey with either the chamois or the malt. The Mapei color charts that I'm seeing online don't look true to color...they all look darker on the computer screen than they actually look in that room.

My adjoining hallway is done with Mapei "pale umber" grout, which runs right up to the bathroom tile, with no threshhold break...so I thought about trying to make the bathroom similar to the hallway color.

Bathroom is porcelain tile. Hallway is ceramic tile. Different patterns, but both are nice, mottled-patterned earthy natural tones that don't clash at all, and of course you have the visual break from hallway to bathroom.

The guy who put down the "pewter" said he used the same as what was already down...said it only looked darker because it was still wet...to just give it time! The really professional, expert guy who chose "malt" said he had color-matched it from his Mapei color stick kit, and was sure it was right...

We are learning so much with this first remodeling experience...like, insist on seeing the materials *before* they start the work...don't let anybody do work when we're not home...get more than one reference before hiring...don't pay till after the grout dries...etc!

Comment (1)