Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abd1_gw

Subway tiles on the wall and ________ on the floor.

abd1
13 years ago

We want to use white subway tile up to a chair rail height on the walls in our master bath renovation -- I know, very original. It seems lot of people combine subway tile with marble and it is a timeless, classic look. We really like marble, but we feel its a little cold and formal looking for us and would rather have travertine. We prefer a very light toned, almost sand color, of travertine. Would this work with subway tile? I know the colors are neutral and should work (white and tan), but what about the textures? We also want to use the travertine to create an accent panel in the shower, probably a herringbone mini-brick, but again would this work with white subway? Anyone have any pictures? I've been scouring the web and have found a few images here and other places but I guess I have yet to find that one inspiration shot that shows me this will totally work.

Comments (8)

• brickton
    13 years ago

I think it depends on the color of the walls and the bathroom. Often marble and white are paired with gray/blue/green cool tones. If you go with cream/tan/beige/gold or even something more bold I think travertine will be just fine. The white and warm tan will go very nicely together particularly if you toss in some dark brown (accent tile? vanity? vanity top?)

I know it's beadboard not subway tile, but look at this bathroom. It's got a similar color structure. If you did white subway halfway up, I think it would look great.

via this blog

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

If you like travertine, what you might look into to go with the white subway tile is silver travertine. I'd bet it'd be an awesome combination.

• abd1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great pics, thanks. Bill, at a recent visit to a tile shop I did see silver travertine and I immediately thought what a great mix between travertine and marble, so it is definately an option.

Sandn -- Love your bathroom look. The tile is so clean and fresh looking. What subway tile did you use? I love the trim tile off the floor, it really breaks up the wall and is a great detail.

Brickton -- that is a very similar look to what we want. We are having a white vanity built that will look a lot like the Pottery Barn Newport double vanity, but it will be a little more contemporary looking. To warm it up we're going to fabricate a wood counter using either butcherblock or reclaimed wood. Every contractor has bristled at this, but our cabinet maker said he's doing a lot of reclaimed wood vanities and I think it will warm up the space.

Thanks again for the responses, if you see anything else send it my way.

• sandn
    13 years ago

Abd1,
    Thank you. We never tire of the clean look of the tile. The tile we used was originally purchased from Country Floors in Toronto. They called it Highgrove. However, their Toronto showroom closed during the recession. We were hunting for more of the tile for our kitchen backsplash recently and we discovered that the manufacturer, in Sri Lanka, has closed down (probably and sadly because of the social unrest in that country). We were able to track down a supplier in California, and they still had quite a stockpile of this tile, which really is such a perfect basic subway, and were able to ship it to us.
    Tile: Lanka wall tile (available in white or alabaster, but called candlelight when we originally purchased it :)

• nutherokie_gw
    13 years ago

Whew! Sandn, beautiful bathroom! Since you mentioned grout colors, do you happen to remember which colors you used?

• onelady1dog2girls
    13 years ago

Sandn- I was wondering what hex tile and color you used? Timeless and beautiful. Can I also ask you how much the grout may or may not show dirt?

• sandn
    13 years ago

Nutherokie and Onelady, I don't want to take over Abd1's post, so I'll repost a response to your tile and grout questions. Link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Hex tile and grout questions, answered

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert