Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bici_gw

Remodeling two bathrooms at once...

bici
18 years ago

On a very limited budget, we are doing a conversion of a 3/4 bath in the basement into a powder room, and an upgrade of the main bath on the first floor. The house is 85 years old. The main bath has some rotted flooring under the toilet, and we don't know how extensive the damage is yet.

Today's dilemma is this:

We had not planned on removing or painting over the blue wall tiles in the main bath. The current medicine cabinet is a size no longer being manufactured. The recess in the wall is bordered by tile. Here is what it looked like yesterday:

{{gwi:1385605}}

Today, as planned, the contractor removed the old cabinet. We had purchased a medicine cabinet that was 30"x26". The idea was to remove the tile border, and add to the height of the opening to accommodate the new cabinet. The actual opening is 29"x23" - and we discovered that just inside the top edge of the recess is the waste stack (cast iron pipe) going down to the basement! This pipe, which does not go to the second floor, prevents the contractor from raising the opening.

Here is what it looks like today:

{{gwi:1385606}}

The contractor has convinced me that it is smarter to remove all the blue tile from that wall (but not anywhere else) and install the new cabinet in a lower position. This would mean removing the non-functional toothbrush holder and tissue box holder (on the wall facing the door under the wicker shelves). That's fine with me. But I don't know if I'm going to like having 3 walls with tile and one without.

Has anyone any other suggestions? I will be posting more pictures - especially of the progress on the powder room which is moving along nicely.

Comments (6)