Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dallasauburn

New Master Bath

DallasAuburn
18 years ago

I wanted to share our master bath remodel in case it could help any of you bathroom remodelers out there.

General Info: House was built in 1959, so we wanted a style that gave a nod to the past but which was pretty updated.

counter top: Giallo ornamental (we got a really good deal, so I couldn't pass it up)

cabinets: custom via a local carpenter. Depth of the cabinets is 12" (on the left) and 17" (on the right), with a step out up to 20.5".

Lavatory and shower fixtures are Kohler.

Potty is original to the house.

Subway tile is Dal in Kohler white (K101) -- home Expo has great prices on this tile.

Floor tile is also Dal-Tile... Pietre Vecchie in Antique Irovy.

Oval mirror and sconces on either side of mirror and above sink: Pottery barn

Hope this helps some of you...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

Comments (28)

• ramses_2
    18 years ago

Lovely! And I think by trying to give a nod to the past with your update you've created something fairly timeless.

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

Love the baseboard detail and the open cabinets.
    Nice how the shower overhangs the cabinet. Very unusual. Just enough space for soap or shampoo or someother waterproof nick nack.

• cuddlepoo
    18 years ago

VERY nice bathroom. We did something similar in that we have one sink and then another area used a a vanity with mirror/counter/storage. We didn't have a large amount of room to work with and it worked out great.

• cassidyhome
    18 years ago

Perfect! I wouldn't change a thing!

• mitchdesj
    18 years ago

Gorgeous, fresh and clean.......

• Natsmom
    18 years ago

Its beautiful! Love the open cabinets for the towels. And, that granite was choice #2 for my kitchen.

• nokeysyet
    18 years ago

very well done indeed. congratulations! just lovely.

• DallasAuburn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Folks... thanks for your nice words...

cem

• blondelle
    18 years ago

DallasAuburn, very pretty bath. Love the way you combined all the elements, as they work so well together. I'm also considering the Pietre Vecchie. I'm afraid I couldn't view all your photos. Would love to see a clearer one of your floor. would you be able to post one, or I can leave my e-mail to send. I got a sample of the Champagne and the Antique Ivory, but they look just about the same. It's hard to tell with one tile. Can I ask why you went with the Antique over their Champagne color? Which was darker? I think the Champagne had more variations in cream and greyish tones, and more variation in darker and lighter tiles. Is this correct? Thanks for sharing your new bath ;-).

• DallasAuburn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey blondelle,
    I took a few more of the floor and added to the exisiting link. I hope it helps.

• DallasAuburn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh yes... forgot to tell you... I e-mailed an answer to your questions, but maybe it went to your bulk folder. We chose Antique because it appeared to have less yellow than the Champagne. If yellow works with your colors, then Champagne should be fine... we just wanted something more neutral. Which... I should say that the Antique ended up having quite a lot of yellow -- much more than I anticipated. I would think that they both have a lot of variation -- the antique certainly does -- it varies from grey to cream to yellow. I wasn't convinced before we put the tile in, but I really like it now that it's down. BTW -- if you can't view the pics, just let me know and I'll e-mail them to you.

• wlucinda
    18 years ago

Really nice job! And congrats on finding such a unique vanity. Good thinking! :)

• tntwalter
    18 years ago

Enjoy.
    Trish

• tzmaryg
    18 years ago

Beautiful! What was the source of your shower door/surround? Thanx.

• sweeby
    18 years ago

Really pretty bath!

And I love the way you placed a mirrir and sconces over a shallower cabinet -- that would be my ideal make-up area! (So why are they always over a sink and/or deeper counter?) I may have to copy that idea...

• DallasAuburn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone. We've been using it for about a month now and it's finally feeling like home and not someone else's bath.

Yes -- Sweeby, it is so much easier having a shallow vanity area than a deep counter for make-up application. Some folks might not like NOT having a place to sit down, but I'm an on-the-go type gal who doesn't sit while getting ready anyway.

TZMaryG -- I'm not sure I understand your question. The shower glass is from a local glass company.

• audrey_ca
    18 years ago

I just love your new bathroom. We just got back from looking at tile and we have very similar "taste". Can you tell me what tile & size you used on the shower floor. Thanks!! Enjoy~

• mustangs81
    18 years ago

Fantastic and full of ideas, thanks for sharing.

Can you say more about the mirror?

• DallasAuburn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey audrey -- the shower floor is the same as the bathroom floor -- in 2".

Mustangs -- I noticed yesterday that Pottery Barn is no longer carrying the oval that is presently installed that you asked about. It was from the Kensington collection, which -- from what I saw -- is just rectangles/squares now. That's probably not much of a help -- sorry. They seem to change their collections often, though, so there is probably still a possibility is will become available. We finally ordered a mirror for over the sink yesterday -- it is also from the Kensington collection, but was not available when we were finishing the remodeling (in chrome). We've just been waiting for something to come along, and now PB is carrying what we were looking for. So, if you're interested, keep your eyes peeled. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kensington mirror

• KiwiChase
    18 years ago

Stunning is all I can say! I have been discussing with my husband the possibility of doing a separate make-up area and then we see this and it is such a great idea - it confirms what we have been thinking of doing - it's nice to see someone who actually did it and did it so well.. Thanks for posting them - they are truly an inspiration. Would you be able to pass on the wall color also - it goes so well with everything. Thanks!

• beaglemom
    18 years ago

I simply love this bathroom ...can you share the wall paint color thanks

• audrey_ca
    18 years ago

I noticed someone else also asked you for the paint color on your walls, I would love it if you could share. Again, thanks so much for sharing your beautiful bath with us.

audrey_ca

• DallasAuburn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, audrey and beaglemom, it's been forever since I've checked on this site. The bathroom paint color is Benjamin Moore: Oakwood manor (1095). Good luck in your bathroom remodels!

• sunfeather
    17 years ago

This is great!!! Your idea of the counter next to the shower is wonderful!!! I would have never thought of that.

• Cflower
    14 years ago

pictures page not available now

• stayn2busy
    14 years ago

dallasauburn, it sounds like you have a wonderful bath, but unfortunately the pics are no longer available.

• chrismus
    13 years ago

can you email me pictures of your bath? I have the same tile and am getting the same granite next week. I need backsplash ideas as well as color to paint or stain vanity

• mdelaurentis
    11 years ago

Hi,

I am considering using Pietre Vecchie (Antique Ivory) and white subway tiles in my bathroom, so I would love to see pictures of your room. The link seems to be broken now. Do you still have the pictures online somewhere?

Thanks!

Mike