Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Ceramic Tile

Posted by spage1 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 14, 05 at 2:42

We have a bathroom that has the worst yellow colored tile you can imagine. It is almost a greenish yellow. Toilet and tub are the same color. House was built in the 50's. My question is can these be painted and if so with what? Also, is it worth the effort or should we tear out and redo all of it? We have just undergone a whole bath renovation as well as a family room redo, all new windows and exterior doors. Not really interested in going thru the bath reno right now. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting Ceramic Tile

I have the same situation in my main bath, only ours is aqua blue tile. I am redoing the bath, but don't want to replace the tile. There are two ways to go with painting tile, as far as I'm told:

There is a kit you can buy (Home Depot, Lowe's) to resurface a tub or ceramic sink. It costs $30 and is a two stage process using epoxy. You must wear a respirator mask and have very good ventilation. This kit covers one tub or two sinks, approximately 80 sq. ft. You can figure out by the amount of wall surface you have, how many kits you would need.

The other way to go, which is what we will be doing, is to prime the tiles with Gripper Primer (also available at HD) and then paint with a couple of coats of high-gloss latex paint (we are doing white). You might also want to seal it with a polyurethane coat in a gloss finish. If you don't like the glossy look of the original tile you could use a satin or matte finish paint. I think this will be roughly half the cost of two or more kits, which I would need in my bathroom. It will also be easier and safer.

One of the posts here in the Gallery shows a bathroom with painted tiles. That's where I got the idea. I don't remember which one it is, but maybe the person will see your question and respond.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here