Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help make this bathtub useful

Posted by haganinc (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 07 at 2:22

First time posting here, hello! We recently purchased a townhouse that we love that comes with a master bathtub that we think is just beautiful. Problem is the thing is impossible to use! The sides are very high and very vertical. The tub is also very long meaning if you sit in it with water, you have no way to prop yourself up since you would need to be 7 feet tall to have your toes hit the other end. When in the water you are constantly slipping since your feet have nothing to grab onto and instead have to rely on your stomach muscles to keep from going under water, not exactly the most relaxing position. And since the sides are almost straight vertical you can't lean back either.

Hopefully these pictures can explain what I'm talking about. If you are having trouble with perspective, its approximately 2.5 feet tall (so too high to sit in and rest your arms up top) and is about 5 feet from end to end.

I'm at a loss for how to make this bathtub actually useful, I'm hoping someone here knows of something I could purchase that is made for this type of thing. Any help? Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help make this bathtub useful

Wow, what I wouldn't give for a great soaking tub like that! I understand your problem though. I currently have a plastic blowup pillow with suction cups from Bed, Bath, Beyond that I use as a back prop in my conventional tub. If you want to take up some space in this tub, maybe you could use one at each end. For the bottom being slippery, there are lots of grippy decals you can get at BBB and other places to apply to the bottom of the tub so you aren't slipping. Or, after you've filled it you can plop in a complete mat that has small suctioncups on the bottom that is meant to reduce slippage. Neither is pretty, they're functional for the problem you mention. The first is semipermanent, the second you would have to remove each time because of the placement of the drain in the middle. Are you less than average in height? This might have been installed because the previous owner was quite tall. Anyway, go shopping at the bath accessory stores in your area and look at the options for slippery tub bottoms. There are several. Sorry that's all I can come up with, but glad to see the issues with such a tub as we just had a contractor over yesterday to discuss remodeling our bathroom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here