Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annachosaknj6b

old house--new bathroom

annachosaknj6b
19 years ago

I usually hang out in the Appliances forum, but I thought I'd share my new bath with y'all. It's on the third floor of the house in what used to be an unfinished attic space.

New bath

Comments (32)

• Katalina
    19 years ago

Gorgeous! I absolutely love the floor. And everything else, too!

• annachosaknj6b
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you for the kind words! Embarrassinly, that bathroom is the nicest room in the house now. *g*

• maryz4
    19 years ago

WOW! I just loved looking at your photos. Your new bathroom is really beautiful and very tasteful. I love the hint of old in the new fixtures. You should be very proud of your new bathroom.

• annachosaknj6b
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The hint of old is just what I was going for, so your kind comments made my day. Thanks! :-)

• bungalowbees
    19 years ago

I love the tile -- any chance we could see a closeup?

• socks
    19 years ago

Very nice. You are going to enjoy that bath for many years to come.

The sink looks like Kohler Memoirs, and the toilet is Toto? It looks like my Baldwin.

• annachosaknj6b
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Athome, I will try to post one for you. My digital camera is not very good quality though (it's really my son's).

Socks, thanks! The sink and toilet are both Kohler Memoirs.

• sallyat
    18 years ago

Anna -- your bathroom is one of my favorites! I too have an old house, and you definitely kept the integrity of your house. Have you done any other renovations?

• tntwalter
    18 years ago

but 'nicer'. ;o) Beautiful details.
    Trish

• annachosaknj6b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Sally and Trish! After more than a year, I'm still enjoying this bathroom so much. :-)

I finally have some better pictures of the tile that someone else took for me. Here they are:

{{gwi:1385280}}
    Basketweave marble tile, border of 4x4" unpolished Ming, base tiles, Ming pencil trim, and white subway tiles.

{{gwi:1385281}}
    Closeup of basketweave patterned floor tile.

• msazadi
    18 years ago

Beautiful design Anna - cool watery look and yes, I too like the bits of old style that you kept/chose. That has been my goal too in our house.

• teeboxer
    18 years ago

Hi Anna ~ Your bathroom is beautiful. Would you ever tell us the brand of tiles you used? Is the floor basketweave marble? It is so lovely. Thanks

• compumom
    18 years ago

Just gorgeous! I'm a sucker for those shades of green and love the intricacy of your tile design.

• bryce5
    18 years ago

Your tile is gorgeous! What a great job of coordinating the colors.

• pearlchow
    18 years ago

I too would love to know the brand of tiles you used and where you bought them! I love the green and silvery lavender together!

• vedazu
    18 years ago

Anna, Just beautiful! (Our minds seem to run in similar channels. I just re-did a powder room with matte white tiles and a border of green glass. The Memoirs sink and toilet but in the Tea Green color. Sort of a reverse of yours!) I love, love, that pencil detail. . ..Veda

• annachosaknj6b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi all: So many people have asked the name/brand of the tile, especially the basketweave on the floor. I called my tile lady who has graciously agreed to answer any questions. Her name is Etty and you can email her at creativetile@gmail.com. Just mention my name and tell her it's the tile used in the ming third-floor bath that you're interested in.

• tetrazzini
    17 years ago

i love your bathroom, the floor, and the fact that you put it in the attic space. it gives it so much more character than a square room!! love also the low windows and the skylight!

• zelmar
    17 years ago

Your bathroom is very inspirational! I would love to do something similar in our attic--we would end up with similar height limitations near the toilet so I'm glad to see you made it work. I'm impressed with how your door turned out and it's giving me hope that we can make our old doors look a lot better. I also love your tile. Is it hard to keep clean? I may have to stay away from light colored floors since mud season seems to last a good part of the year here but maybe most of the dirt would be off by the time the shoes got up to the 3rd floor.

• annachosaknj6b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Egganddart(great name!) and zelmar: Thanks! I can't emphasize enough how wonderful the skylight is--the room is always full of light. The tile has been very easy to keep clean so far, but I make the kids take their shoes off at the door. A few stubborn spots that wouldn't come up with the Swiffer disappeared with a Magic Eraser, however. No complaints here about ease of upkeep.

• liz_h
    17 years ago

Truly beautiful Anna! I just started looking at this gallery today. Your tile design is fabulous.

• Jean Popowitz
    17 years ago

My goodness Anna! What stunning tile! Beautiful bath!

• patricianat
    17 years ago

Really beautiful bathroom!!!!!

• weegie
    16 years ago

Wow! Thanks for sharing. Your bathroom is fabulous and has that wonderful old house feeling with all the modern conveniences.

• hoffman
    16 years ago

Anna,

I copied your beautiful bath -- right down to the ming green basketweave floor & the lavender paint! I hope you check back here so that you can see how you inspired me. Here are some pictures:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Copying you was better -- and less expensive -- than hiring an designer. Hope you don't mind ...

• stripedone
    16 years ago

What a nice bathroom. Not to worry that it is the most lovely room in the house, you will be on top of that soon, I'm sure. One room at a time!

• annachosaknj6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hoffman--heh! You're actually the second person (that I know of) to copy it. I'm tickled pink to have inspired you. You're very welcome to the design, so enjoy! Thank you so much for telling me and for posting the pictures; it made my day! LOVE the faucets and sink/toilet design that you used; it's so excellently vintage. What paint color did you use on the wall? It turned out really beautifully.

I have since sold that house and moved to another one in the same town. This house is from 1952 instead of 1916, but the bathrooms still need to be redone! After we do the kitchen, I want to do our master bath with exactly the same design. I loved that bathroom so much that I'm determined to recreate it here. I hope the new owners are enjoying it as much as we did. :-)

• hoffman
    16 years ago

Anna,

I am SO glad you checked back & saw my copycat version of your bathroom! Wow, it must have been hard to leave that bath behind - I don't ever want to move now that I have everything just the way I want it. Did you get positive feedback on the bathroom when you sold your old house?

My paint color is BM Lavender Ice. The toilet/sink are Kohler Revival and the faucet is a Rohl Country Bath bridge tap.

BTW, I've now seen that basketweave floor tile in several different colors -- a local tile store has it in blue, and Junior's in Times Square NYC has it in earth tones covering the entire floor of a HUGE restaurant (can't imagine what that cost). But the ming green is still my favorite!

Thanks again!

• annachosaknj6b
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I saw it in blue at the store where I purchased it in Montclair, but like you, fell truly madly deeply in love with the ming. Now I will have to go check out Junior's because I can't imagine it in earth tones! You got your tile from Short Hills? You must not be that far away from me! If you ever want to meet and natter endlessly about remodeling, my profile addy here is still good. :-)

• mlk58
    15 years ago

And just so we have all three on the same thread, here is my take on Anna's and hoffman's wonderful bathrooms!

• msn47
    14 years ago

I love the ming green basketweave and want to use it on my bathroom floor. The contractor, however, is very worried about the almost non-existent grout spaces. Were these floors grouted? If so, what kind of grout (epoxy or cementacious), how did they push it into those narrow cracks, and does it tend to pop out? After installation, does the floor feel smooth on bare feet, or can you feel the sharp edges of the stone? If I can solve the grout issue, I'll definitely use this tile!

• annachosaknj6b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry I did not see this earlier. The floor was grouted (I used seafoam green). The spaces are very narrow, but it didn't pop out. Yes, the floor was smooth to bare feet except in one tiny spot where two adjoining pieces were misaligned by a small amount. Never bothered me. The marble is very cold underfoot, and feels lovely on a hot day, but for winter you might want to consider radiant heat installed underneath. Good luck!