Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chiefneil

Small powder room

chiefneil
18 years ago

We removed a plain white pedestal sink and replaced with a regular freestanding cabinet and blue glass bowl. I had the walls done in a Versailles pattern to match the floor, but replaced the 8x8 tiles with 1x1 irridescent blue glass mosaic tiles. You can't see it in the photos, but they really shimmer in person. I also had chair rail run across the top to cap things off. All the tile is honed travertine. The floor tile is filled and sealed, the wall tile is unfilled.

I know I should replace the toilet with something more inspiring, but that's a post for another day.

Comments (15)

• chiefneil
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I forgot to post this closeup of the lights showing the etching on the shade.

• sweeby
    18 years ago

Wow! That's sweet -- I especially like the way you tiled behind the vanity and ran the border up and over your wall-mount faucets. That's a great touch!

• chiefneil
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Sweeby. That tiling over the faucets was actually due to the tiler's mistake. Before he started I told him that the top of the tile had to fall between the bowl and top of the vanity. He forgot to measure so the chair rail ended up exactly at the top edge of the bowl, which would've made the whole vanity stand out from the wall by a couple inches. I came up with the redesign over the faucets and he was happy to do it for free (I had to run to the tile store for more chair rail, though) to avoid having to redo the whole room!

• mahatmacat1
    18 years ago

I love that tiling feature too! He should use it again and say that a client "invented" it :).

Is it just the photography or is the sink the teensiest bit off center from the faucet?

The accent tiles and the sink go so well together, but I'm sure you know that :)

• chiefneil
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, the sink is off center by a bit less than an inch! The vanity is just a smidge too big - I have it flush against the wall already. It annoys the heck out of me, but some things you just have to learn to live with. The vanity was a beat-up floor model from Great Indoors for $100, so I can suffer from a little off-center positioning.

When we were building the house we got all custom cabinets. We specified a custom vanity for the powder room, but dropped the idea later for various reasons. Through a series of miscommunications, the vanity actually got built and the cabinet company offered to let us have it at a discounted price - only $4000! Ha! I'll stick with the slightly off-center $100 version. That was one stunningly beautiful cabinet though - too bad we were so far over budget we couldn't afford it.

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

I can't see too much of a difference between the filled and sealed floor and unfilled wall tile. Will you please explain the difference in this case. I thought most filled and sealed you could barely see the grout joint. Or am I mistaken.

• pebbles396
    18 years ago

Great bath. Very cohesive.
    Thanks so much for posting.

• chiefneil
    Original Author
    18 years ago

cactusfreak - "filled" refers to the natural inclusions (pits and holes) in travertine. The pits are filled with grout - either at the factory or during installation (you purchase travertine either filled or unfilled). It doesn't have anything to do with the grout lines. Unfilled is much prettier since you get a 3-dimensional effect and the inclusions are often filled with crystalline deposits. But if you use unfilled on the floor they'll rapidly fill with dirt and dust, so you should only leave travertine unfilled for applications like my wainscot where you expect minimal traffic and dust.

Here's a closeup of the floor, which is filled. You can see it's smooth, and may be able to spot where the holes are filled with grout.

Here's a shot of some of the unfilled inclusions from the wall.

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

Thanks, I guess what I read about filling marble grout lines in Italy with sawdust is a different thing all together.
    I actually just laid a border of travetine between my kitchen which is Mexican clay and atrium which is a smooth porcelin because I have plants in there. I was trying 'not' to get the grout in the pourous parts but I guess I needed too since I will have plants and cat litter boxes in there.
    Thanks, your powder room is beautiful. I love the blue bowl sink.

• MariposaTraicionera
    18 years ago

That's gorgeous. I love that colour blue! We have a tiny powder room as well, and I've been looking for a small vanity that has some personality as well.

Love the Travertine too. What is the colour of the walls in the powder room? You're right not to worry about being a teeny bit off centre. It looks natural and beautiful.

• chiefneil
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I forget the name of the color of the travertine, but the photos are pretty accurate. The tiles are from Emser; they only have one style in a Versailles pattern, but it comes in two colors. Mine is the lighter color - the darker color is also a bit more drown.

If you're actually asking about the color of the paint, it's Dunn Edwards "champagne" in a semi-gloss. We'll probably repaint with something a bit more dramatic, but that's the standard paint for the rest of the house.

• theoracle
    18 years ago

That toilet needs some craft enamel. Tub reglazers do toilets, too. Check European toilets.

On the walls, some plaster molds of three dimensional stuff that matches the styles or period you already have, in a color similar to the travertine. One I saw similar to this, but not as WOW since they used the brown, used molds of chunky squares with a large magnolia in the center. Each was hung separately. subtle, but soothing.Buy a 3-D hanging you like, then make a few molds of it.

• vern1
    18 years ago

Chiefneil

I can't see the photos but I would sure love to.

• chiefneil
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry about that. I lost my hosting account for those photos. I'll get 'em back up soon.

• chiefneil
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here you go. The bowl slightly askew in this photo. I've since levelled it and caulked it down. The travertine is honed. In the floors it's filled, in the walls I left it unfilled.

I used glass mosaic tiles instead of the 8x8 travertine tiles on the walls. Floors and walls are done in a versailles pattern.