Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flash407

my master bath makeover is DONE!

flash407
16 years ago

We totally overhauled our home and redid the master bath. We tore out the original 1965 bathroom and reconfigured space to make it larger. We also added about 130 sq. ft. for the closet.

We are really enjoying it!

Here is a link that might be useful: master bathroom

Comments (24)

• scottmel
    16 years ago

Very Very pretty!!! what color paint did you use and what info can you provide on your chandalier? Do you think it is the proper size to put over a tub (I am thinking of doing over the tub...). THANKS!!!

• scottmel
    16 years ago

Also sorry to drive you crazy but your shower door - is it frameless and pivoted or just frameless? thanks!

• larice
    16 years ago

the wall color is cafe au lait by martha stewart (when it was with sherwin williams), the trim is white dove by BM. The chandelier is from Maxim and I think is 17 high. I have 8 ft ceilings. (FYI....I don't think a chandelier will meet code over a tub but you can't trust my 40+ mind). My shower door is frameless with hinges.

• geogirl1
    16 years ago

Beautiful job! So elegant and classic. Very, very nice.

May I ask where you purchased the vanities with feet? I'm planning my kids bath and I need vanities with feet. Thanks and enjoy your new space!

• larice
    16 years ago

The vanities were built on site. I can give you the details if you want.

thanks for the comments!

• mlou_51
    16 years ago

Gorgeous bath! Is your closet open to the bathrm? We're planning a modest (Lowe's & HD mostly) redo of our small half bath. Currently the bathroom sits right off our bedroom and the walkin closet is next to it. Both rooms are only 6x6. We planned to take at least 2ft of the closet for the bath. I had wondered about opening it up completely but wasn't sure whether that would work out. Mlou

• larice
    16 years ago

My closet is off the bathroom, across the back of the house. We access the bathroom from our bedroom and walk through the bathroom to the closet. I hope that makes sense!

• budge1
    16 years ago

Wow!! Amazing and elegant.

I'm green with envy. Your closet is bigger than my whole bathroom. Actually, I think your vanity is bigger than my whole bathroom.

Lovely.

• larice
    16 years ago

Scottmel...just rechecked the shower door....it is on pivots. whodathunk it?

• spadentrowel
    16 years ago

flash407 - I am doing a master bath very similar to yours. I'd like to show my cabinet and counter people how you did the sink on the "ladies" vanity. What kind of lights are over the vanity in the boxed in area?

• klutterkara
    16 years ago

Where did you get the fantastic mirror? I love your bathroom!

• Kelli Culpepper
    16 years ago

Really enjoyed looking at all of your pix. The closet game me all kinds of good ideas as did the master. The powder room was very charming - too. Thanks for sharing!

• flash407
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ya'll are too kind! Sorry I haven't gotten back for some of the questions. The mirror is from Bombay (may they rest in peace...they were a great mirror resource). Also, this is a little late for spadentrowel, but I have a can over the "lady's" sink

• RheaT
    15 years ago

Ooh, I love your bathrooms! Very elegant without being glitzy.

So where did you buy those stunning vanities, puleeze?

• flash407
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We had the vanites made on-site (I sketched them out for our carpenter and ordered the millwork on line from VanDykes and Osborn Wood Products)

• ljsandler
    15 years ago

Gorgeous, just gorgeous!

What is your wall and floor tile? Love the chandelier--how high are your ceilings?

Thanks!

• flash407
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I used 12x12 travertine. I have 8' ceilings so I used a mini chandelier (I think Maxim or Minka) and hung it as high as I could.

• ljsandler
    15 years ago

Thanks, flash407--I really appreciate your info.

• sallen2008
    15 years ago

I just checked online and found that Bombay is closing their stores?????

• downtowner
    15 years ago

Thanks to everyone on this forum for occasional advice, especially Flyleft, who once called me "Downer," Bill, Mongo and the gang.

DW was kind enough to forego a dressing room to let me have the no-expense-or-effort-spared bathroom of my dreams. I am nothing but grateful, but the structural repairs alone took 5 months.

Out in the heartland I suppose a 19'x13' bath is for the servants, but here in downtown NYC, that's a lot of real estate. But it does give us room for a garden, a floating bench, a Kneipp hose, three illuminated shower heads in an open shower, a laundry chute, self-designed twin pullout linen closets with Haefele hardware, a Neorest toilet, a sculptural stainless magazine rack, unique Loewen Access windows, a swingout electric towel warmer, custom Blum tandembox drawers for storage, a 6 foot drawer next to the tub, chromatherapy, water jets, air jets, custom floating corian vanity sink with storage, Swiss contemporary commercial faucets, two Velux automatic skylights with two automatic shades in a square and a round opening, nine different kinds of lighting, two exhaust vents, heated floors, motorized window shades, 4 custom sliding doors, 2 custom pocket doors, 24" x 24" Italian ceramic tile, an illuminated 6'long Boffi mirror, a 120 gallon square tub with a raised surround, and quiet space to dream in the heart of the City.

The inspiration was this design done for Dornbracht's Mem line of fixtures, called the Spirit of Water:

{{gwi:1385126}}

Ours is not quite so spare and elegant, I'm afraid it was impossible to sink the tub to floor level in a house nearly 200 years old:

The list of things we put in this bath does seem a bit excessive when put into a bare list, but life does keep one humble. An inebriated young lady at a party this summer pointed to my wife's storage and said: "Herbal Essence! Such a low end shampoo in such a high end bathroom."

There are also a few photos of our guest basement bath here:
    http://www.pbase.com/fdobbs/basement_renovation

Here is a link that might be useful: Spa bathroom

• flora2
    15 years ago

Downtowner: Very nice and sleek. I love, love your garden--I was suppossed to be looking at pictures of bathrooms for my next remodel. Your mentioned of your inebriated guest made me laugh--I guess we cannot choose our family...or friends ! :)
    Thanks for posting

• thankurnmo
    13 years ago

Spending way too much time here- but this one looks fantastic and I guess I must have missed it- bumping it because it sure is worthy- (and it's a few years old and the links even work!).

• flash407
    Original Author
    13 years ago

just saw this mention about my bathroom....thanks for the kind words. Three years later, we still love it! I've put some window treatments up. Maybe I'll get motiviated to post some updated photos......

• cathyann
    13 years ago

Flash-Beautiful bathrooms!

May I ask about your half bath vanity?

Thanks!!