Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_vincent_gw

bathroom tile FAQ's

bill_vincent
15 years ago

This is going to take me a while, so I'll post as many as I can each night until it gets done. To start, here's the first set of questions and answers:

Okay, here we go. These questions come from the thread on the discussions side where I solicited questions from everyone for this thread. These are in the order they were asked:

Q) What are the different types of tiles you can use in a bathroom and what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

A) There are several types of tile available. They fall into two general groups: ceramic and natural stone. I'll take these one at a time:

Ceramic tile-- For purposes of this discussion, there's glazed conventional, unglazed porcelain, and glazed porcelain. All three are good tiles for bathroom use, but the porcelain is a better choice only because of its density and lack of water absorbsion, which makes upkeep and cleaning easier. Also, with reference to steam showers, you DO NOT want to use natural stone, being that the steam would tend to permeate into the stone even more readily than liquid water, and could end up giving you algae problems, as well as mold and mildew problems, unless you don't mind being tied down to your bathroom.

Natural Stone-- There are several types of stone that are used in bathrooms. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're all GOOD IDEAS for bathrooms, expecially the softer (and more absorbant) stones, such as slate or limestone. Now, I know I'm going to get a world of flack about this from epople who have bathrooms finished in these materials. I know they CAN be used.... so long as you're aware of the extra upkeep involved. But if you're someone who doesn't like to keep after things, you may want to pick an easier material to maintain. Generally speaking, the softer the stone, the more the upkeep. Limestone being the softer of the stones, and that would include travertine, next would be many slates (although some would actually be harder than even most marbles, such as brazilian and british slates), then marbles, with quartzite and granite rounding off the list as the harder and more dense stones that you could use.

Q) What should I be sure to look for when choosing tile for a bathroom?

A) Short answer-- something that you like! The bathroom is the one place that just about anything the showroom has can be used. The only limitations are basically the upkeep you want to put in, and slip resistance on the floors of your bathroom and shower. Now, although ceramic tile is basically maintenence free, you don't want to use something with a texture to it that will catch all kinds of junk in the shower, making it more difficult to keep clean. At the same time, you don't want to use a polished stone or bright glazed ceramic tile for the shower floor, either. These both CAN be used, but again, it comes down to upkeep for textured wall tile, and doing something to rectify the slippery floor.

Q) Where should I use tile and where not?

A) Tile can be used on every single surface in the bathroom, if that's what you like. This is all a matter of taste... for the most part. About the only place where there's a requirement is any place there's a showerhead involved. If tile is to be used either in a shower or a tub/ shower combo, The tile MUST go up to a minimum of 72" off the floor. Past that, it's up to the disgression of the owner.

Q) What size tile and what layout patterns to use in various areas?

A) Again, this is a subjective question that can really only be answered by the owner. The ONLY place where there's a recommendation for mechaincal reasons is on a shower floor. TCNA recommends that mothing bigger than 6" be used on shower floors due to the cone shape of the floor's pitch. In addition, most installers will request no bigger than 4", and prefer a 2x2 tile to work with on the shower floor. This is also advantageous to the homeowner who'll be showering in there, because the added grout joints will add more traction to the floor.

Now, I've heard many times that you shouldn't use large format tiles in a small area like a powder room floor, and if you have a wide open bathroom, you don't want to use real small tiles. My response to both is the same-- HORSEHOCKEY. I've done bathrooms both ways-- 24x24 diagonal in a 3' wide powder room, and 1" hex ceramic mosaics in an open 100 sq. ft. bathroom floor. The rule of thumb is if you like it, it's right!

Q) How do I find/choose someone to install the tile?

A) Many people will tell you to get names from the showroom you get your tile from. This is no good, unless the showroom is willing to take responsibility for the installer by either having them on payrool, or as a subcontract. Then they have something to lose if they give you a bad installer. Many people will also tell you to get references and to actually check them out. This ALSO doesn't work. I've been in this work for just under 30 years now, and I've yet to find a single installer who ever gave the name of someone they had a problem with. They say even a blind squirrel will find a nut once in a while. The same can be said for "fly-by-nights" and good work.

So if you can't trust recommendations, and checking references is a lost cause, what do you do? REVERSE THE PROCESS!! Instead of finding an installer and getting references, get references, and thru them, find your installer!! No matter where you live, if you drive around, you'll find constructions sites and developements. Stop and ask who the GC uses. Get a name and phone number. Sooner or later, after asking around enough, you're going to find that the same names will begin to show up time and time again. THESE are the guys you want to use. But don't expect a bargain price, and be prepared to wait, because these guys will be in high demand, even in the worst of times, and they may demand a bit higher price, but they'll be worth every penny, if for no other reason, just because of the peace of mind they'll give you in knowing you're getting a good quality installation. Ask anyone who's gone through this experience, good or bad-- that alone is worth its weight in gold.

Q) What are the proper underlayments for tile?

A) There are several, and I'll take them one at a time:

CBU (cementitious Backer Units)-- This is the term that generally covers all cement boards (such as Wonderboard or Durock) or cement fiber boards (such as Hardibacker). This is the most common used tile underlayment. Generally speaking, it comes in two thicknesses-- 1/2" and 1/4"-- and each has its use. !/2" must be used for wall installations, due to the fact that the 1/4" is way too flimsy with nothing to back it up, and would flex too much to last. Besides, the 1/2" CBU will usually match up nicely to most sheetrocks. The 1/4" is used for floor installations, unless the added height of the 1/2" is needed to match up to other floorings. Being that neither has very much structural strength, so long as the subfloor is 3/4" or more, the 1/4" CBU is all that's needed. Keep in mind that even though it's basically fiberglass reinforced concrete, the only thing it adds to the floor is a stable bonding surface, so the 1/4" will do just fine. One place where alot of contractors will try and shortcut is by using greenboard instead of CBU for shower walls. This is expressly forbidden in the IRC (International Residential Code) by the following code:

IRC Greenboard Code:

The 2006 International Residential Code (IRC) states in

Section R702.4.2 that "Cement, fiber-cement or glass mat

gypsum backers in compliance with ASTM C1288, C1325

or C1178 and installed in accordance with manufacturers

recommendations shall be used as backers for wall tile in

tub and shower areas and wall panels in shower areas."

The 2006 IRC also states in Section R702.3.8.1 that

"Water-resistant gypsum backing board [Greenboard] shall

not be used where there will be direct exposure to water."

Membranes-- There are several around that work well over many different surfaces. Most of them are what's called "Crack Isolation Membranes". Just about every manufacturer has one, from trowel ons or roll ons, such as Hydroment's Ultraset or Laticrete's 9235 or Hydroban, to sheet membranes such as Noble's CIS membrane. All will give the tile a little more protection against movement than just going over CBU. However, there's another class of membranes called "uncoupling membranes" of which the most popular by far is Schluter's Ditra, that are made from bonding two layers together, usually a fabric fleece backing and a plastic sheeting with dovetailed waffling to "lock" the thinset in place ( as opposed to accepting a thinset BOND). These membranes will, as their name implies, uncouple their two layers in case of movement, to save the floor, and for thinset floors, it's the most protection you can give your tile floor.

Plywood-- This is one where I get the most flack. I'm one of a dying breed that still believes in tiling directly over plywood. However, I can very well understand the reluctance of the industry to embrace this installation method, even though the TCNA DOES approve of its use for interior installations (Those with a handbook can check Method F-149). The reason I say that is it's a very "tempermental installation method. You need to be very familiar with what you're doing, or you risk failure. There are even many pros I wouldn't trust to tile using this method. Everything you do is important, from the species of plywood used, to the direction the grain is laid with relation to the joists, to how it's gapped, and a host of other specs, as well-- many of which won't be found in the handbook, and if you miss just one of them, you're flirtin with disaster. All in all, when people ask me about it, I tell them that with the membranes available, there's no need to go directly over plywood. There are other methods that will give you just as long lasting a floor, and aren't NEARLY as sensitive.

Mudset-- This is the oldest, and still, after THOUSANDS of years of use, the strongest installation method available. In a mudset installation, a minimum of 1 1/4" of mortar called "drypack" (mixed to the consistancy of damp sand) is either bonded to a concrete slab, or laid down over tarpaper or 6 mil poly with wire reinforcement, packed, and then screaded off to flat level (or pitched) subfloor. This is what most people see when tiling a shower pan. Initially, the mud will be a somewhat soft subfloor. But over time, if mixed properly, it'll be stronger than concrete.

Q) What are the proper tile setting compounds?

A) This is one where I could write a book. It all depends on what kind fo tile you're installing, and what the underlayment is that you're going over. I'll give a generalized list:

Polymer/ latex modified thinset: For all intents and purposes, this is the "cure-all". For almost any installation the modified thinset, which is basically portland cement, silica sand, and chemical polymers added for strength, will work. There are some that are specialized, such as the lightweight non-sag thinsets (such as Laticrete's 255 or Mapei's Ultralite), or the high latex content thinsets (like Latictrete's 254 Platinum or Hydroment's Reflex), but with the exception of going over some membranes, there's a modified thinset for every installation.

Unmodified thinset: This is the same as above, but with no polymers added. It's usually used in conjunction with a liquid latex additive, but will also be used mixed with water for going over some membranes. It's also used as a bedding for all CBU's.

Medium Bed Mortars-- This is a relatively new class of setting mortars, used mainly for large format tiles, where the normal notched trowels just don't put down enough material, and with thinset, it would be too much, causing too much shrinkage as it dries, causing voids under, and poor bond to, the tile, but at the same time, there's not enoough room for a mudset installation. This mortar is usually used with either a 1/2x1/2" or 1/2x3/4" notched trowel.

Mastics and Premixed Thinsets: THESE HAVE VERY LIMITED USES!! Let me say that again-- THESE HAVE VERY LIMITED USES!! They work well for vertical installations, where the tile used is 8x8 or less, and it's not a wet area. ALL THREE of those conditions must be met!! I know just about every pail of type 1 mastic says it can be used in showers except for the floor. DON'T BELIEVE IT!! Also, both mastic and premixed thinset (which is just mastic with a fine sand mixed in to give it bulk) claim they can be used for floor installations. Unfortunately, for the amount of material needed under virtually all floor tiles to bond to the subfloor, neither of these will fully harden. I had a personal experience where I helped a sister in law across country, telling her husband exactly how to do his main floor, what to use, and how to use it. Unfortunately, he went to the big box store to get his tile and materials, and they talked him into using premixed thinset. I didn't hear about it until SIX MONTHS LATER when his tile and grout joints started showing cracks all over the floor. When he called me I asked him what he used for thinset, and sure enough, this is when he told me. I told him to pull one of the tiles, and SIX MONTHS LATER, IT WAS STILL SOFT!!! DOn't let them talk you into it!! Use the proper thinset, and don't try and shortcut your installation. You're spending alot of money for it to be "just practice"!!

Q) How do you deal with different thicknesses of tile?

A) Whatever it takes. I've used membranes, built up the amount of thinset being used, I've even doubled up tiles when it worked out that way. Whatever it takes to get the two tiles to be flush toeach other.

Q) What are the typical tools required to lay tile?

A) Generally speaking, this is a list for just about all installations. Some may require specialized tools, but this would be for all:

Proper sized notched trowel

measuring tape

chalk line

margin trowel

nippers

high amp low speed drill and mixing paddle (best would be 6 amp or better and less than 400 rpm)

several buckets

score and snap cutter for straight ceramic cuts

4 1/2" grinder with a continuous rim dry diamond blade for ceramic, anything other than straight cuts

wet saw (can be used for ALL cuts, ceramic or stone)

grout float

hydra grout sponges (2-- once for grouting, one for cleaning)

24" and 48" levels (for vertical work)

heavy duty extension cords

KINEE PADS!! :-)

screwgun or nailgun (where CBU will be used)

Q) What about tile spacing and tpes of grout?

A) According to Dave Gobis from the Ceramic Tile Education Foundation in Pendleton, South Carolina, there will finally be a new standard for ceramic tile next year. The tolerances are shrinking. There will also be a standard for rectified tile. Along with that, there will be a revision to the installation standards that will specifically recommend a grout joint no less than 3 times the variation of the tile. For rectified tile the minimum grout joint width will be .075 or just over a 1/16".

As for grout, there's only one thing that determines whether you use sanded or unsanded grout, and that's the size of the grout joint. Anything less than 1/8" you use unsanded grout. 1/8" or larger, you need to use sanded grout. The reason is that the main ingredient in grout is porland cement, which tends to shrink as it dries. In joints 1/8" or larger, the grout will shrink way too much and end up cracking ans shrinking into the joint. The sand give the grout bulk, and the sanded grout won't shrink nearly as much and therefore, can be used in the larger joints.

Comments (64)

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

kitty-- so long as the present tile is in good condition, and there won't be problems with clearances, there's no reason you can't go over what you have now. Being that it's porcelain, going over it with a sander to scuff it up won't do much, so you should be okay to go right over it after scrubbing it clean. Use an unmodified thinset mixed with a liquid latex additive to give you maximum strength of bond.

• weekendwarrior_2009
    15 years ago

I just spent a day "discussing" the installation of a shower membrane with the guy I hired to retile my master bath. He wanted to install the shower membrane over the backboard. I won that one...it is installed behind the backerboard now. Then I did more research (checking up on him) and asked about the pre-slope and he started with the "in umpty-ump years I've been doing this..I've never" speech. He already layed in the mortar for the shower floor on the membrane and I have that sinking feeling in my stomach. Is the pre-slope a big deal and what is the potential issue for installing the membrane onto the subfloor? He told me that the mortar bed has a slope that will take care of the water. Pardon my tone, but this has been a internet, doing by the book weekend guy vs. the old school handyman kind of week. Any advice? Thank...this is a great forum. I wish I found about two weeks ago.

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"in umpty-ump years I've been doing this..I've never"

If he started putting it over the backerboard instead of behind it, obviously this moron has no idea of what he's doing. That would've been my cue to fire him on the spot.

Is the pre-slope a big deal and what is the potential issue for installing the membrane onto the subfloor?

Yes, it is, although not many tile installers, plumbers, or GC's realise it. There are two potential issues. First, the given that lends credibility to these issues-- tile, grout, thinset, and mortar ARE NOT WATERPROOF. This is the reason the liner goes underneath all of them.

Now, the first issue is that being that the pan membrane sits flat on the floor, there will always be water sitting in the bottom of the mud base. It needs the help of gravity for ALL the water to reach the weepholes at the base of the drain. With the water sitting there, collecting all kinds of gunk and garbage, it's the perfect breeding ground for mold, mildew, bacteria, and fungus. Is that what you want to be standing on as you get clean?

Secondly, if he set the membrane flat, I'd be willing to bet he just set the cement board in, and dropped it right to the floor, being that it's much easier than holding up an inch or so, so that it's not sitting on the bottom, but so that the mud still covers it. Why THIS would be a problem is that with standing water in the pan, the cement board will act like a straw, and wick the water into it until the water reaches the top of the membrane, where it will spill out and over, causing what appears as a leak.

This NEEDS to be addressed.

Please do me a favor, and post this discussion over on the discussions side, so more people will see it and benefit from it.

• weekendwarrior_2009
    15 years ago

Thanks Bill for the quick response. Please disregard my e-mail. I will let you and the other members know how this works out. It appears that just putting the fiberglass pan back would be the easiest. FYI, the walls of the shower are tiled down to about 18 inches above the floor so I am looking for the least destructive way to correct this...with a new contractor. Thanks again.

• boymom
    15 years ago

Bill, should the perimeter of my tiled shower floor and ceiling be caulked, instead of grouted? And what about the joint from tile floor to tile wainscoting? I had two small bathrooms done a couple of years ago, and most of these seams are now cracking. Should they all have been caulked instead of grouted?

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Absolutely. Any change of plane (at inside corners) gets caulked.

• debra-lee
    15 years ago

We are wanting to tile a large out door patio and are REALLY wanting to use travertine and have read conflicting information about using it out doors. We are in northern WA so lots of freeze thaw cycles. It will be on a sound 4 year old concrete slab that has only one very tiny crack outside of the existing control cracks. Can you tell me if we should use an anti fracture membrane and if so which one do you recommend? Any other info you think we should know would be helpful.Also do we need to use epoxy grout?
    Thanks.

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    14 years ago

First off, I would not use travertine outside ANYWHERE where freeze/ thaw cycles are an issue. As for the crack you have, you need to check it and make sure one side is not higher than the other. The reason I say that is NO membrane will protect the tile from vertical movement-- only lateral. Next, you need to make sure the area is pitched so as not to have standing water on the area, so it can't get under the tile and freeze at night. Once all this is taken into account, my recommendation for a membrane would be from The Noble Company, and it's a product called Nobledeck.

For any more discussion on this, please start a thread on the discussions side.

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Q)I have heard about some super great grouts out there that have the sealer built in but they are also super expensive.

A) First, there's no such thing as a grout with the sealer built in. Many installers will try and tell you that about modified grouts which include latex polymers in the grouts, but that's bigtime false. The other, which is more of a half truth is concerning epoxies. Although there's no sealer built right in, sealer can not be used on epoxy grout, either, because it's actually a plastic, and as such, won't allow sealers to penetrate into the grout. However, it also doesn't NEED to be sealed being that by itself, it won't allow alot of the staining that normally occurs (although it also can't be said that it's stainproof-- that's also a mis-statement).

• Newyorking
    14 years ago

Bill,

Thanks for this excellent info! I am remodeling my apartment, and am planning to use Jerusalem Gold tile for my master bathroom. I saw a newly renovated bathroom while looking for places to buy, and fell in love with it. I cannot use anything else. It seems like this is not very practical and requires a lot of maintenance. How to I ensure that it is installed and maintained perfectly?

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    14 years ago

As for insuring it's installed properly, print out this FAQ and use it as a checklist when they're putting it together. As for maintenence, keep it sealed using a good quality penetrating sealer, and use a ph neutral cleaner.

• bkw1
    14 years ago

Bill, This FAQ post is great. I have a question about larg-format tile. We're picking tile for walls in a tub surround. One of the candidates is a 9x18 tile about 1/4-in thick. This tile will be dyi installed on walls and on a sloped ceiling (about a 45-deg. slope). I'm concerned about sagging on the walls and staying in place at all on the sloped ceiling. You mention medium bed mortars and larger trowels above. Does this sound like a candidate for those materials or can I use standard mortar? Your insight will be greatly appreciated.

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm concerned about sagging on the walls and staying in place at all on the sloped ceiling. You mention medium bed mortars and larger trowels above. Does this sound like a candidate for those materials or can I use standard mortar?

Although you COULD use a standard mortar, you're much better off using one of the lightweight non-sag mortars. Notch trowel the surface, notch trowel the back of the tile, and then "mush" (technical term) one into the other. Boost with spacers, because with that much thinset between the two surface, even the non-sag will tend to slip just a hair without them.

• bkw1
    14 years ago

Bill, Thanks for the advice.

• july3feb2
    14 years ago

Hi Bill. I'm new to this site but have learned so much from you already...hoping you can solve a huge problem/dilemna (umm fight) between my husband and I.

Our new build will have a tile tub surround and builder and husband agree the best way to finish the edges is with a metal strip. Husband is afraid not using one will inevitably result in seeing a cracked grout line (as we currently have). I'm convinced there are other more aesthetically pleasing options and hoping you can direct me.
    FWIW our floor tile is a dark brown and then the tile on tub surround side/deck/backsplash is a beige colour.
    Thanks so much...
    Tiffany

• lamermaid
    14 years ago

i'm in the process totally remodeling 2 bathrooms. the plumber installed my new 38" jacuzzi neo-angle shower pan in the one bathroom and a kohler cast iron tub in the other. the sheetrocker installed durock around the neo-shower and also around the tub, he installed greenboard on the remaining walls in these bathrooms. MY QUESTION: the spackler came and taped/spackled all of the seams in the bathrooms with the same product. i was under the impression that the durock had to be taped with fiberglass mesh tape and something other than spackle, am I wrong? Also, what type of tape and/or spackle is used where the boards transition from durock to greenboard? thank you in advance for your needed response.

• lamermaid
    14 years ago

does anyone have a picture or sketch of how far from cast iron tub edge and/or shower pan edge the durock should be installed? i had the durock and greenboard installed abd an frustrated because there is no consistency, some places the durock is sitting on the edge of the tub and in others it is 1/4" above the rim of the tub. also on the two walls of the neo angle shower, one side is sitting on the pan edge, the other has space between the pan and durock. i don't want to have the tile installed if down the road i will have a potential problem. any info would help.

• colibri5
    14 years ago

The information on sanded vs. unsanded grout is so useful. Now I can speak to my tile installer with knowledge and conviction! So...I picked up tile and grout two days ago (before reading this tile FAQ thread). For my tumbled marble mosaic kitchen backsplash, I got sanded grout, perfect. But, for the bathroom, I bought unsanded. The bath tiles are rectified porcelain and I want tight grout lines (will not be mud-set, just laid with thinset). So, I am hoping for a less than 1/8" grout line. If the installer says he can't do that, I'll take the unsanded grout back and switch it for sanded. I'm using the same tile on the floor (13") and the walls (4"). Your advice has surely helped countless happy homeowners avoid disasters, Bill. Thanks!

• letter100
    14 years ago

Bill, you said "the ONLY thing that determines which grout should be used is the joint size", but what determines the joint size? Also, does the sanded grout feel rough but unsanded feel smooth? Or can a sealer make the sanded grout feel smooth?

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Until recently, I've always gone by the rule that the joints should be no more than the thickness of the tile, and no less than 3/16" for most tiles unless someone was willing to pay for the extra time it'd take to use an 1/8" joint, and 1/16" joint for honed or polished stone, as well as rectified porcelain or standard wall tile (that has lugs on the edge for self spacing). But recently (as in the beginning of this year) the Tile Council of North America came out with guidelines with reference to joint size:

the new TCNA (Tile Council of North America) Handbook addresses this issue by recommending that the width of the grout joint used be determined by the ANSI A108.02 specification which states that the actual grout joint size shall be at least 3 times the actual variation of facial dimensions of the tile.

As for this post--

The bath tiles are rectified porcelain and I want tight grout lines (will not be mud-set, just laid with thinset). So, I am hoping for a less than 1/8" grout line. If the installer says he can't do that....

If your installer says he can't do that, find another installer.

• t-ren
    14 years ago

Bill, we just renovated our bath and have a glass shower. We don't have a tile edge to the shower and water was escaping through the door. Once we measured the slope, we found that it was only 1/2"--not the 1 1/2" to 2" slope that we were told should be used for a shower like ours. Contractor fixed the leaking by adding a thin lip of tile under the glass door and we were fine with it. But now we are noticing a "wet" smell in the shower and a lot of the tile is still stained dark like it is still wet even when we didn't use the shower for 4 days (yes, we showered in another bathroom). What is the optimal preslope angle for a shower? Very worried about bacteria after reading this and very concerned. Also, as for the staining, I was told that they used the top of the line sealer from Water Works that costs 75$ per container and if that didn't work nothing else will work. Getting disheartened and need to know is the 1/2" angle of our shower okay and is there anything that I can do to keep the tile from staining?

One side note, when we did wait to use the shower those 4 days a white substance formed on the tile. I was told it was calcium and not to worry about it. I've never seen this before. Is this normal?

Thank you so much for your help.

• sonepi
    14 years ago

bump

• curly09
    14 years ago

bump

• nansea
    14 years ago

bump

• brianloffredo_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

I just had a shower bed built. My contractor installed the bottom portion of the shower drain directly against the plywood subfloor, and laid the liner against the subfloor. However now that the shower is complete, the drain has about 1/4" movement up and down if direct pressure is put on it. The only thing I can think of is that the bottom of the drain was not squarely against the subfloor. I know that the bottom of the drain was a tapered, so it is possible that it seemed snug, but actuall had a bit more room to be pushed down. If the remaining pvc is leak proof, and I run a bead of caulk around the drain, do you think this will be a problem?

• debo_2006
    14 years ago

Bill, here's a question I didn't see in your Q&A, unless I missed it:

Does one use sanded or unsanded caulk when making the bead line where vinyl floor and fiberglass tub meet in the bathroom? Hope I worded that correctly.

Thanks.

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm sorry I didn't come over here sooner to take a look at this. For ANYONE posting here, please post on the discussions side. Your question will get alot more exposure, and I'll see it alot quicker.

Debi, I already answered your question. Brian, I HOPE you had your contractor come back and take care of that. That's COMPLETELY unacceptable by ANY standards.

t-ren, if you're still around, that shower pan needs to be redone. Period.

Again, post any responses/ questions on the other side.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

bump

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bump

• redoinghome
    13 years ago

I am thinking of replacing a linoleum floor and the tile bath surround in a small (8'x6') bath with marble octagon meshed with small squares for the floor and 3x6" marble subway tile for the bath surround. Do I need to be concerned about the weight of the marble tile and reinforce the floor? (My home is a 1916 Craftsman and is well-built. The bath is on the second floor over the dining room.)

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

This has been insanely fascinating & useful. Thank You so much!!!

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bump

• OrchidOCD
    12 years ago

Bump -great tile info - thank you, Bill!

• finallyrenovating
    12 years ago

bump! this is some good, basic info. Thanks!

• SparklingWater
    12 years ago

Hi Bill and all. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. It is so helpful to come here. I have old fashioned but beautiful 1940s Herringbone weave porcelain tile as floors to two bathrooms. They have stood the test of time for sixty years but now need a little help.

a. a row of four tiles abutting the iron cast tub are loose. What do I use on them:mortar for their back (small 1' x 1' white porcelain square) to ensure they bind to sub-flooring and then white grout to seal. I've only found these huge buckets of mortar and pre mixed white grout for four tiles. Any alternative products?

b. Time to really clean up these lovely floors. What products do I use here? A few of the tiles have some rust on them (sink pipe probably before we purchased house), and more have some scuffs on them, and the white grout looks dingy.

Thank you for your responses. I searched 'cleaning porcelain tile' first.

• SparklingWater
    12 years ago

Reading up on more on a tile article, I see that pre-mixed grout is a no-no, as it is mastic (organic glue) and not what is to be used. Whew, glad I hesitated and put back both premixes to read up first and do it right!

• dceleste
    11 years ago

I am looking at hex floor tiles for the bathroom. What are the pros/cons of glazed and unglazed porcelain? I think I heard that one should seal an unglazed porcelain before grouting or else it will turn dingy and look dirty pretty quickly. Is this true? Any ideas are much appreciated. Thanks.

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No difference at all between glazed and unglazed. I'm also not a big one for sealing porcelain. It makes no sense to me to seal something that nothing can penetrate, anyway.

• stellawinslet
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing such an important guideline for Bathroom tile. It�s great source of information for many first-time tilers with all the basic mistakes that could have been avoided if they had only been forewarned.

• jeenasmith
    11 years ago

Bathroom Tiles are started becoming one of the important part of Interior decoration of Home...even i have very nice options for selecting..:)

• martdes43
    11 years ago

I changed the entrance of my shower tub. The panel board was moldy; water was getting in between the top tiles and the panel board. the joint was not well sealed. I put new everything for the entrance, even a membrane between the plywood and the tiles. However, it seems to leak from the wall now. Water is coming out of the wall outside the shower tub. Would it be the grout, tiles...? Tiles and grout are probably 20+ yrs old ( turquoise tiles). I tried to put some ready grout ( in a tube), but it still leaks! Calking is well done. Should I remove the old grout and put new one everywhere? Thanks for your help!

• slgn
    11 years ago

Do you have to tape & bed the greenboard before starting the tiling process?

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry I'm a little late to the game, but slgn-- I hope that greenboard isn't in the shower! If it's in a dry area, it wouldn't hurt to atleast tape and first coat it, but it's not necessary. You can use the standard alkaline resistant mesh tape and do it with the thinset when you go to set the tile, just as you would over cement board.

martdes-- I have a feeling that whole thing needs to come apart and be redone. I hope by now you will have realized it. :-)

• sreedesq
    11 years ago

Thanks Bill for this thread. As someone who is currently picking out shower floor tile and wall tile, my question is what tile would you use for your own home if doing a remodel today? Is there one manufacturer that is above all?

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Again, Sorry for taking so long-- been gone for a while. :-) There are three names that come to mind, although there are literally thousands of top quality tile manufacturers. The ones that come to mind for me, are Cerdomus, Graniti Fiandre, and Porcelanosa. I've yet to see a tile from any one of the three that wasn't absolutely top of the line. However, that quality doesn't come cheap-- from any of the three.

• DamonK
    9 years ago

There are many tile options for your Bathroom floor and walls. I found this article interesting when looking to redo my bathroom floors, it was at least a good starting point for me.

• sandmansrm
    8 years ago

Just had my bathroom tiled around the tub and shower. The grout around the tile is like sand paper. I told the guy that did it that I thought it should be smooth. Was told by another contractor that he let it dry to far before he sponged it off. Would like to have your comment on this. Thanks

• Rachele Binkoski
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I am currently trying to do a "budget friendly bathroom remodel" I have a ceramic tile picked out for the shower surround and floor. Would it be better to use porcelain? This is the tile I'm looking at.

• MongoCT
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

That tile is listed as a vitreous tile on the Lowe's specification page, so it should be fine in a shower.

• nansea
    7 years ago

This looks like the tile we used in the bathroom, floor and tub surround, about 4 yrs ago. We're totally happy with it

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH