Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heated Floors!!

Posted by keepitunder20 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 08 at 19:54

After reading how much people love heated floors, I would like to consider them. In my bath they are about $1,500 so I need to feel really good about them.

This is my concern. If they break, you can't fix them. I have a neighbor who installed them in a home 13 years ago. Half stopped working so they had half a heated floor. They put their house on the market and had to take out the control on the wall out so there would be no evidence that they ever had them, since there is no way to fix something under the tile without a really big expense.

There are so many different types, who know which ones are really reliable and less likely to break. I can't say my tiler was crazy about them. He said he had an electrician who laid the wires and set up the control on the wall. He said to be carefull of the really cheap ones.

Appreciate any experience anyone has had.

Cathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heated Floors!!

I think this posting would be better in the discussions section of the bathrooms forum but our architect mentioned repairing underfloor electric heating from the ceiling below as a possibility.

o

My carpenter said a factory guy has a break detector type thing he can find the break with. Yes, you still have to take up that tile and repair the break. I'm 99% sure the one I'm getting is suntouch.

Here is a link that might be useful: warm floor

o
RE: Heated Floors!!1

I've had a change in plans. I am now leaning toward vinyl after stepping on the sample tiles the other morning. My existing vinyl is MUCH warmer. I could put in some fancy vinyl for less money than the heated tile.

o

we are having a nightmare w/o newly installed (expensive $3000 not from Home Depot) electric heated bathroom flooring! the ceramic tile installer said he oms tested it before mortaring, after and again after the tile was laid. Heat DIDN'T WORK! cost $1500 to rent the machine to find the breaks/the electrictions time. found 2 breaks. repaired. still not working! the machine doesn't pin point the exact location, just general area. now they will be tearing up our whole floor! Tile guy won't stand behind his work and said he won't redo it or pay for the new heat mats we must re-purchase. said he can't afford it. make sure your installer uses the machine that is hooked up to the mat and buzzes if you cut the line rather than relying on just oms testing since it may heat up once then any slight breaks in the lines will fry and come apart. Such an easy job but done by gorillas! we thought no one could have messed up this job but they did! the heat mat rep was awesome trying to help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here