Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_nj_gw

Hall bath remodel 99% done

Donna_NJ
18 years ago

First, thanks for the input from various forum members to my questions over the last few months.

My hall bath remodel is now 99% finished--what remains is to seal the floor tile and wall grout, paint the ceiling and trim (which will be in a cream color to match the vanity), and reverse the heat source for the towel warmer (my silly electrician decided that it should come in at the top, which is wrong).

Details:

Floors and accent diamonds on walls are Efesus tumbled granite, left over from my kitchen renovation 3 years ago. The accent pieces are 8x8, the floor was done with 16x16 pieces cut down to 14x14 so we could get a tighter grout line.

Under-tile heating mats by W**mly Yours, they seem to be functioning beautifully after being on now for 2 days.

Wall tile is Roman Stone Noce porcelain 13x13, chair rail used for front corner of tub and pencil for edge of ceiling were from a different mfr as Roman didn't make those pieces. Listello is glass and textured tiles.

Tub: Kohler Devonshire. Note that the drain sold by Kohler for this particular model did not fit! It was too short, and luckily my GC was able to locate a Gerber drain on the spot while the plumber was here so that installation could continue. This tub is 5'x32", but the 20" depth gives all the 'coverage' I wanted when we replaced the builder's original 14" deep model. I'll be putting up a heavy white cotton shower curtain, after debating over glass doors or a screen, but since the major use of the tub will be bathing, I decided doors would feel too closed in.

Toilet: Toto Nexus. I was taken by the sleek lines of the bowl, and expect it to be much easier to keep clean. Flushing seems as great as all other reports about Totos--fast, complete, quiet. Very pleased.

48" vanity and cabinet over toilet: Ultrakraft Visions line. I was very unhappy with prices as I investigated cabinetry, and ultimately landed on this line that seemed bearably priced. The price point is reached (according to the place I bought them!) by offering only a limited number of door styles and finishes, but I was very happy with the buttermilk color and door style. Vanity is 18" deep (required because of entry door placement) and 34.5" high. I'm enjoying the adult height very much. Top is cultured marble, and the brown accents in it pick up the wall tile wonderfully. There's an outlet inside the chest over the toilet for razors/electric toothbrush.

All faucets and the light over the vanity are Price Pfister's Catalina line in brushed nickel. The sink faucet has a pull-out that also switches between stream and spray. Hand-held shower-head is by Danze, corner caddy came from Bed Bath and Beyond. Sink-top dispensers are Kohler, connected to Never-MTs, one for soap, one for lotion.

Ceiling light/fan is by Hunter, who also made a great switch that controls both the light and fan with a delay feature.

Semi-recessed medicine chest is by Maax, and was the hardest part of the remodel. I had my heart set on a recessed chest, then my GC pointed out that the wall it was to go in was shared with another bathroom and would likely have pipes in it that would prevent the recessed installation. He was right, but also helped me figure out how we could install it was the partial-recess, using the side mirrors provided for surface-mounting, and I'm thrilled with the outcome.

Towel warmer is called "Oval" and I bought it from a place called Blue Evolution. I *think* I'll be happy with it once the heat-source location is fixed.

Feel free to ask questions via my page, and thanks again for your input!

Here's the link: www.opus131.com/bathroom/

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath