Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradleyj_gw

My Spa Inpsired Bath

bradleyj
15 years ago

I WAS going to remodel my kitchen, but my GF nixed that, insisting instead that my tiny, 4x8 (plus tub) vintage, original 1948 pink and baby blue bathroom go -- pronto! So it gave way to a spa-inspired, slightly enlarged 7x8 (plus shower) retreat - I scavenged an adjacent closet. My home is a 1000 square foot home in the Hollywood Heights conservation district of Dallas.

They say remodels cost twice as much and take 3 times as long as planned. Close. The demo began April 3 and was supposed to be done by May 7. The finishing touch (shower doors) was installed July 1, 2008. I estimated $25,000 and spent $37,000, including a $4000 "Ooops, my bad" contractor misbid on the plumbing in the signed contract. I bought nearly all supplies, fixtures and components myself, 95% online. NO problems!! This included:

Showerguard 3/8" glass doors

Soapstone floors from Vermont Soapstone

Glass mosaic tile - Winter Blend - Colorways, from Mosaictilesuplies.com

Scaraboo Tsunami sink (by Nameeks) - Homeclick.com

Duravit Caro toilet and Gerebit carrier - eBay

Stiebl Eltron electric tankless heater

Sun Touch radiant floor heating - Home Depot

Jaclo Cubix collection shower fixtures, bath acessories, and rain showerhead - Chicagofaucets

Teak shower bench - Mr. Steam

Teak accessories - Teak4u

Hansgrohe Axor faucets - plumbersurplus

Panasonic Whisper Warm vent/heat/light - plumbersurplus

ItalBrass - soap dish and toilet brush - Ira Woods

Watermark mirror - Homeclick

lighting - Bellacor

Enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: Pepto Bismal Palace

Comments (15)

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Oh. My. God. I am in love. What more can I say. I am so happy that you shared the details, because I will definitely be stealing your ideas. I adore the sink, your tiles and the teak fold-up bench. I've been wondering how to get a bench in a small shower stall. Now I know.

Kudos.

Do the folks on the Conversations side know this is here?? You really should point it out.

• sundownr
    15 years ago

You've done a beautiful job! Love your fixtures. So please tell me about the soapstone floors. I recently had soapstone on my kitchen island, but floors? And how do you like your rain showerhead? I am finishing a kitchen and may be starting a bathroom and most likely will use some of your ideas. Thanks!

• bradleyj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THX!!

Soapstone is perfect for a bathroom floor, or at least it was for mine. First, when wet it doesn't get slippery - it gets almost positively sticky! Second, for heated floors, it absorbs and holds the heat very, very well and releases it slowly. That's why they use it for ovens and stoves. And finally, I liked the look as-is (unoiled) for the bath. The light-medium gray went well with the white and gray and teak color scheme I wanted

The rain shower is PHENOMENAL!! A completely different, and relaxing, shower experience. I went high-end and got a Jaclo shower head and while fanfreakintastic, not sure it was worth the 7-8 X price premium over a Hansgrohe etc rain shower head. ALSO, I would advise going with a tankless water heater with one, because I find myself staying in the shower much longer to enjoy the shower and you will need that endless supply of hot water! =:-)

• annkathryn
    15 years ago

Wow this is a gorgeous bath. I love the tile - all the different sizes add interest and look so good together. Very nice job - congrats.

• dcclerk
    15 years ago

I absolutely love your bathroom. Thank you for sharing such details. It really helps to also know where you bought so much of it! I found this posting when I went on a search for Duravit, and it really has a look that I like. One question not answered in your very detailed material list is your bathroom door. I like the clean lines very much. Do you know what kind it is? Thanks so much!

• bradleyj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THX! The door is actually the original 1948 3-panel door, just converted to a pocket door. The pocket door framing hardware was from Johnson Hardware (available online). The door latch/lock mechanicals are from Von Morris, purchase from a local hardware supplier but also available online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Von Morris pocket door hardware

• jillthoner
    15 years ago

I'm so sad that I can't see the pics! I even upgraded my browser just to see them and it still won't work. I just see "My Gallery" with a black background. :(

• bradleyj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmm.. Let me try posting them directly then, starting with a couple of "pre" photos.

• chrystyne731
    15 years ago

Wow! That is awesome. I love your sink too.

• jjaazzy
    15 years ago

I really like your bathroom, do you like the Jaclo Cubix fixtures? I really like the contemporary style and considering it for my shower. Please let me know.

• bradleyj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love them - one of my favorite things in the bathroom. However, they are ridiculously expensive and if I had to do it again may have gone for lesser $$$. It was my first ever remodel project, so I went overboard ...huh, wonder how that happened?

• ashleysf
    14 years ago

I love, love, love your bathroom and I am going to save your pictures as an inspiration for my remodel. Great job, well done. Can't wait to see your kitchen remodel :) May I ask what the brand of the sconces are? Again, wow!

• bradleyj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

THX!

I got the sconces from Bellacour on the web. Unfortunately, I don't remember the brand now, and threw away the boxes a year ago!!

• july3feb2
    14 years ago

Wow...just wow!!!!! Can't wait to see the kitchen remodel one day haha!

• enzaenza
    8 years ago