Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sombreuil_mongrel_gw

My DIY circa 1910 Bathroom

sombreuil_mongrel
15 years ago

Hi,

I started this in March, and thankfully it was finished faster than my DIY kitchen (at 15 months, that was an ordeal nonpareil).

More photos at Photobucket.

Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: My Photobucket

Comments (13)

• adichristi
    15 years ago

sombreuil_mongrel, I love it.

Very nice choice of color. May I ask what color of blue it is?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Valspar/Eddie Bauer: "Batik" from Home Depot
    Casey

• adichristi
    15 years ago

Thank you!

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

This is one of my Most Favorites! Love the dark blue, and everything about this room!

• bradleyj
    15 years ago

This is just wildly gorgeous. It makes me want a new home so I can do another bathroom!! OMG I cant believe I just said that ,,,,,

• southernalbertahomes
    15 years ago

You did a beautiful job.Very nautical and very stunning. Love your marble floors and your cabinet, is it walnut?

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Stopped in again, as I often do, to appreciate this exceptional room. I was first mesmerized by the richness of the dark blue walls, my absolute one and only most favorite color, but keep coming back to take in how you showcased the fabulous wood features. There are many details here, yet all together, blend so quietly and perfectly, one feature never pulls me from another. Seamless bliss, I just feel so calm and relaxed and luxurious. How did you think all the details through to result in such perfect balance? I am so fascinated to understand the "How" you created this exquisite bath?

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Did we ever find out the name of the basketweave tiles on the floor? Love them -- they look a bit iridescent.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Friends,
    The tile is from a place called the tile shop.com. They had very reasonable prices, and they delivered.
    Walnut?, no, cherry, darkened with lye; it's the best for darkening cherry.
    How did this room come to be? I design stuff, then build it to my "vision". Sometimes it turns out like this, other times, you don't want to know...
    I kept in mind a 1910 look. I have self-studied architecture for decades, so I was able to select mostly period-appropriate stuff. In my work as a carpenter/woodworker, I am something of a perfectionist, with an eye for detail. And a shameless self-promoter, apparently.
    Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: The Tile Shop

• swampwiz
    14 years ago

I don't like the cabinet above the toilet. You would be taking out stuff like bandaids directly over the feces well.

• bodiCA
    14 years ago

I'm excited, my 6 foot antique claw foot cast iron soaking tub will be here today! So, I had to again visit my favorite room for inspiration!

• reyesuela
    14 years ago

Swampwiz--that's why toilets come with something called LIDS, which one teaches everyone to close every time they use it.

This is as gorgeous as your kitchen!

• stlouie
    14 years ago

I hadn't seen your pics. before and I wanted to say how beautiful your bathroom is. I especially love the vanity and the gorgeous cabinet over the toilet area.