Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brlb_gw

Contractor costs?

brlb
17 years ago

I am planning to remodel my bath & very small half bath. I am buying all the materials myself but am not doing any of the labor. Basically the bathrooms have to be completely redone, except for the wall tiles that are remaining. We are getting new plumbing (toilets, sinks, refacing the tub, new faucets, floors, vanity). The layouts of the baths are remaining the same. Any ideas about how much contractor could charge for the job? I am very confused!!

Comments (3)

• bici
    17 years ago

This was EXACTLY how our project began. One full bath and one half-bath, both fairly small. We didn't move any plumbing, replace the tiles, or the tub. However, we did add some electrical outlets and replace the flooring. (See the pix of our finished main bath on my thread below.)

We purchased all the fixtures and accessories, and subcontracted the floor and countertops. Our GC bid $3500 for both jobs, but seriously underestimated how much time and work this job would entail. Later he told us he lost a lot of money on the job. We did expand the scope, and some other changes brought the final job to $4500.

Depending on the region you live in and whether you are in a large city or smaller market, I would expect the contractor's fees to be under $10,000 for both baths. You are providing the fixtures (where normally the contractor makes his profit).

When you are going over the contract with him, set some sort of timetable for the major portions of the job, and if there are changes or delays, put these in writing and both of you sign off on them. Verbal agreements can backfire on you.

And be prepared for unexpected delays (for us, it was illness on both sides, and a sewer backup into the bathroom which had just been refloored.) If these are truly no one's fault, the GC should not be penalized.

Hope that helps!

• outwest
    17 years ago

We are paying $8200 to the GC for a 7X9 bathroom, but that includes
    demolition and removal of everything including all the tile
    framing in a new window
    installing sconces
    installing 2 can ceiling lights
    a 66" semicustom cabinet
    a small wall 19 inches wide between the tub and the cabinet
    framing two recessed medicine cabinets
    installing an exhaust fan through to the roof (there isn't one now)
    adding plumbing for two sinks (there is only one now)
    framing in and getting ready for tiling a large bathtub adding the shower-(there isn't one now).
    All associated plumbing
    Adding another electrical switch for the fan and can lights
    installing a full cabinet length mirror
    removing all the plaster, smoothing and either drywall or plastering smooth (it has big ugle swirly things now)
    Painting

We are purchasing:
    bathtub
    two sinks
    mirror
    medicine cabinets
    paint
    faucets
    bathtub drain
    bathtub spout
    shower fixture
    tile
    granite or marble (our fabricator who is doing our kitchen is just giving us our bathroom granite/marble for the cabinet top for free if we will choose one of his many left over pieces:)We choose tomorrow)
    reusing toilet
    a new toilet seat
    towel racks, etc.
    the exhaust fan and ducting
    And paying the tile guy separately

We budgeted $12,500 with all the labor for the tile. We are coming in below our budget by about a thousand dollars.

• abwhitney
    13 years ago

wow, i realize this is 4 years later, but for a full and 3/4 bath remodel our quotes are around $23,000. And that's not counting vanity, toilet, tile or grout materials. makes me wonder. we're in massachusetts though. maybe labor is more expensive?