Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tkln

Finally! Finished guest bath...

tkln
17 years ago

We have been going through a whole house renovation. Stage 1 was the kitchen and master bath, which was finished in January. Stage 2 was the guest bath (which though tiny, is twice as big as the master bath) and now we are in Stage 3, the basement.

Although I only posted here a few times, a lot of what I learned in kitchens worked it's way over...our guest bath is small, but it's my primary bathroom and I'm so happy to have it back!

Some details...

Brushed AB counter

Custom vanity and over toilet storage

Drop in standard Kohler tub

Porcelain tile (can't remember the name but I love it) with pebble tile border

Toto Ultramax toilet

Grohe faucet and shower fixtures

The right side of the vanity opens up to a hole in the floor that acts as a laundry chute...in the rear of the right side is the heat register, so we also have slots in the bottom of the vanity, and slots in the counter top to allow the heat to come through.

We spent a lot more than we wanted to, but hey, don't we all. :-)

By the way, I have yet to seal the counter - any recommendations? And what to clean it with? Yes, I totally did an impulse on the brushed AB!

Thanks!

Lucy

Here is a link that might be useful: Before and afters

Comments (18)

• cade
    17 years ago

Lucy, Wow! Your bathroom is great! I have Ab brushed in my kitchen and I think it's going in the bathroom as well! All the materials you picked work perfectly together. I'd love to know the name of the tile you used.

• tkln
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Cade! I will check my receipts tonight and let you know about the tile...can I ask what you use to clean your brushed AB? Is it sealed? Ours isn't sealed yet, so I want to do that, and have no idea what's the best thing to clean it with...

• cade
    17 years ago

The granite guys used Tenax Ager which darkened the garnite and they also sealed it. Someone on the kitchen site said that Tenax was a sealer and ager in one. The installers said it wasn't. They used a separate product to seal it. I really love the fact that NOTHING stains it. Easy to clean and very forgiving. We are almost done with the kitchen remodel and have started to order items for the master bath remodel. I think I'm going with the Brushed in the bath also. It's a great granite for a family with kids!

• lilathabit
    17 years ago

What a handsome bathroom!

• liz_h
    17 years ago

What a gorgeous bathroom - all of it! I may be using the same sink if I can find it in bone. I think I've found it listed a few places, with the explanation that the bone was out of stock.

• salbwil
    17 years ago

Beautiful bath !
    I'm planning a similar remodel in my main bath and I see you used a drop in tub for an alcove installation. Can you remember which Kohler model it was and did it have a tile flange? Thanks....I need an alcove/drop in also.
    salbwil

• arlinek
    17 years ago

Beautiful! Your tile man did a really nice job of blending the tiles in a very harmonious pattern. Lucky you he took such pride.

arline

• tkln
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words!

Cade - I haven't forgotten about the tile, I promise. This week has been crazy, so I will look it up this weekend...

Salbwil - same for the Kohler tub...I'll look up the receipt and see which one it is. I just know when we were at the plumbing store I said 'give me a standard size drop in'! Ha ha!

• tkln
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cade - the tile is called Edilcoughi Rocks, in gold. I googled it, and found a few references, but no manufacturer. BTW, your kitchen is beautiful. I've drooled over it in the kitchens forum!

Salbwil - the tub is a Kohler Devenshire drop in, model K-1184. I have no idea if it has a tile flange though. Hope that helps!

• kvil
    17 years ago

Inersesian - what is the difference between honed & brushed granite? Did you buy it that way or did the fabricator do it for you? Thats what we were thinking of putting in our master bath. Thanks

• tkln
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Kvil...as far as I know (and I am so not an authority), the honed is a smooth surface, it's just not shiny. Whereas the brush, while also not shiny, has a rough finish to it.

We actually got the top from the place that built our cabinet for us - I know we overpaid, but it was a lot easier to have them do it. I know brushed is gaining in popularity - I'm sure you can find it if you look around - it really is a nice look and feel. I know there are a few other types too - antiqued, riverwashed, etc. It's enough to make you crazy!

• ramses_2
    17 years ago

I missed this Inersesian, it's beautiful! I love the colors, the pebble mosaic, and the vessel sink and vanity are just gorgeous.

• michoumonster
    17 years ago

lnersian, can you share info about your lighting? any pics? i think your lighting amount seems perfect for that size bath, which i think might be similar to mine!

• tkln
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks guys...michou - I can take some pics later tonight. We have two recessed cans, and then a fixture over the medicine cabinet. I have to say that this bathroom is the brightest room we have redone, and I am happy with it (well, except first thing in the morning!).

• vicki_ca
    17 years ago

Beautiful job, lnersesian!

What size tile did you use in the tub/shower area? The tile on the apron of the tub looks darker and a different size than the wall tile. Is that just a trick of the lighting/shadows? Is your floor tile the same as your wall tiles?

I hope you don't find the questions. I have been thinking about doing something similar in one of my bathrooms, which is why I am asking.

Vicki

• tkln
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Vicki...the tile is the same for both the floor and walls...If I remember correctly, the walls are 8x8 and the floors are 13x13...but I could be off. The tiles have a lot of variation, they go from gold to brown to grey, but I think the tiles on the apron in that photo look darker cuz of the shadows from the vanity...

Let me know if you have any other questions!
    Thanks!
    Lucy

• mollymaples
    17 years ago

Lovely redo. Did you do the pebble mosaic yourself?

• binsb
    17 years ago

I love the pebble mosaic!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!