Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_b

small bath with tub 100% finished - Eco-friendly

sue_b
14 years ago

This 5 x 7 hall bath with the only tub in this 1960 house needed updating. The project inspiration was to be environmentally sensitive as much as possible. The Bathrooms Forum post "What was your best bath remodeling decision" guided me. I printed all 60+ pages and highlighted the features I wanted then started shopping. I thank posters on this site for suggesting

1. The Lowes 10% moving discount coupon

2. Toto toilets

3. Solid surface tub/shower walls kit to avoid cleaning tile grout

4. Coolknobsandpulls.com for cabinet hardware

5. The Kohler Archer tub (its deep when full!)

From the Kitchen forum I learned the Sweeby rule to write your inspiration mission statement and stick to it when making material/design decisions. My vision was "Create a classic, clean lines space, going green wherever possible, using squares and rectangles for a theme with walnut woods and travertine tone tile." We kept the original footprint and layout and moved the toilet a few inches to accommodate a 32" wide versus the old 30" tub.

Amicus Green Building Center www.amicusgreen.com in Kensington, Maryland, is an inspiring store to learn the "most green" solution. If you are in the DC area, shop here for everything first and get great advice, service, design help and great prices. Who knew you could get a vanity built from wood grown in conditions approved by the Forestry Stewardship Council? Amicus did. All the fixtures are low water flow, the lights are CFL, the vanity counter top is made of porcelain recycled from old renovations, the crown molding is recycled Styrofoam (Timbron), the floor tile is high recycled content, and the paint is low VOC.

Materials listÂ.

Vanity Executive Kitchens Green line, maple with burgundy stain

Countertop Eco Cosentino in Riverbed

Sink Nameeks Miky 40 18" x 12" white

Toto Faucet TL930DDL-CP

Medicine cabinet Broan with Broan frame unfinished poplar, contractor stained with soy based stain (TimberSoy) to match vanity

Floor porcelain 13 x 13 American Olean Alysse color Café, high recycled material content

Vanity light fixture Minka Lavery chrome

Recessed fixture Lightolier 1090 + 1004IC

Tub Kohler Archer 60 inches

Toilet Toto Eco UltraMax

Tub faucet Delta Arzo Monitor

Showerhead American Standard Flowise 3 Function

Handheld shower Delta Arzo

Tub enclosure walls kit Swanstone SSIT-60-3, My Planet collection color Prairie Color 122 plus shower niche with soap dish

Shower door Basco Infinity (ordered from Lowes)

Recessed Toilet Paper holder WG Wood Products, unfinished, contractor stain with soy based stain TimberSoy to match vanity wgwoodproducts.com

Panasonic Whisperwarm exhaust fan FV-11VH2 , 110CFM

Grab bar Smedbo 11" RK325

Vanity cabinet pulls Kohler Memoirs

Toothbrush holder Alno Contemporary II

Towel bars Delta Arzo 24" and 18"

Glass shelf Danze Sirius

Paint Benjamin Moore Natura Whipple Blue, very low VOC

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/sbonney/Sue_B%205%20x%207%20Master%20Bath/

Comments (9)

• Lyban zone 4
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sue,

Very nice work you did on your bathroom.
    Smart to go with the swanstone shower kit and now not having to worry about water penetrating walls.
    I love your vanity mirror.

• Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago

I love the TP holder, how the towels bring all the colors together, and your attention to the small details. I added the TP holder to my own bathroom notes. We are doing a gut in a year or two. I will also be using Swanstone for walls, but also using their ADA floor with the trough drain at the outer edge. I plan to take the wall panels to the ceiling. Is the cost so much more to do so, or did you simply like the more traditional look of lower shower walls? Mine is in an alcove, so I think that makes more of an argument for going all the way up for me, too. Are you loving the wall panels? Is the niche working well for you? I can't wait to get rid of my wire shampoo bottle hanger!

I had a Toto with the special glazing inside in my last house. Don't you find that you don't need to use the toilet brush as often? I miss mine. I might steal your idea for the crown molding, too. I really admire your use of ecologically conscious materials. That is harder to do in a bath.

Great Job!

• TPopArt
    10 years ago

Looks great! This is the same size bathroom we are just starting on! Arrangement is the same too except ours is on the other side. I wanted to rearrange things but it was too expensive to move the plumbing. We are probably going to use a small clawfoot tub and a wall mounted sink with no vanity. I gave up on getting a wall mounted toilet (I liked the idea of being able to mop under the toilet) but there was extra expense in the plumbing...

I like that there is a little cubby in the wall for shampoo and such.

• SwanCorp
    10 years ago

Beautiful work, Sue!

Those blue walls really pop with the warm cherry cabinets and Prairie shower walls!

• SwanCorp
    10 years ago

Beautiful work, Sue!

Those blue walls really pop with the warm cherry cabinets and Prairie shower walls!

• mimimama
    9 years ago

I'm trying to work with a similar bathroom. I had given up on a soaking tub because our tub is only 30 inches wide and the tubs I've seen are 32 inches wide. You say you moved the toilet a few inches. What did that entail? I haven't been give that option.

• mimimama
    9 years ago

I'm trying to work with a similar bathroom. I had given up on a soaking tub because our tub is only 30 inches wide and the tubs I've seen are 32 inches wide. You say you moved the toilet a few inches. What did that entail? I haven't been give that option.

• sue_b
    Original Author
    8 years ago

When I first met with the contractor I had the tub measurements and got their quote on the job including moving the toilet over a couple of inches. He did not give me any feedback on it and it never came up as an issue. The whole room was gutted, tile removed from walls and floor. I found a 6 feet x 9 feet bathroom template online and drew in my vanity and tub to shop for toilets that were not as wide as the original toilet, then drew that in. I believe the shop where I ordered the vanity cabinet had a designer on staff who checked and drew in everything to confirm it would fit before I ordered the vanity and toilet from him.

• grannysmith18
    7 years ago

Sue,

Your bathroom looks lovely. I'll be redoing our bathroom and I'm planning to use Delta Arzo for the faucets, towel bars, etc. How have those faucets and fixtures worked out? Do you have the hand-held shower on the slide bar, or something else?

Now that you've had them for a while, would you recommend them?