Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for this master bath?

Posted by this_old_1969_ranch (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 25, 07 at 9:02

Here are photos of our master. When we moved in 7 years ago, we did wall paper. countertop, lights and a new sink as interim. I love the wallpaper and it made the bathroom tolerable. The bathroom has 2 doors - one to the hall and one to our bedroom.

The bath/shower is awful. I hate the floor and the vanity is old, thin and the finish shows water wear. Was going to have a liner but DH wants a new tub, and the costs were high, so I thought I may as well spend more and allso redo the floor and old cabinet.

There is little room to rearrange and the layout is fine. I was thinking of maybe floating the vanity but it doesnt make sense. I want a nice bathroom, but not overdo it for our house style/value.

Is this too small of a job for a contractor to basically put in all new items?

I want good value and easy to clean. I dont use the tub, but we have 2 young childrern, and this is the only tub in the house.

I'd love to hear any thoughts. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for this master bath?

Here are the photos
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o
should I save the counter, sink and faucet?

Just to add, I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile to try and save / reuse the countertop (swanstone), sink and faucet. They are in OK shape but would need to be re-installed, the sink isn't set into the counter great and the caulk around the sink is OK but I'm not 100% happy with it. DH did the caulking and he got to the point where he just wasn't going to make it perfect, it was too difficult for him.

Or, we would eventually be doing a smaller lower level bathroom and I could save the sink and faucet for that project. I am debating whetehr to do the lower level and master baths right after the other (do lower level bathroom first (really gross now), then use the lower level bathroom while the master is being worked on). But really, I may just want new stuff for both bathrooms and not be limited.

o
RE: Suggestions for this master bath?

If you can afford it, go all new. If you are going to go to that much trouble, you might as well do it right.

We just remodeled our kitchen, ours is an older ranch and I am so happy with it & so pleased we didn't skimp on anything at all...

Next winter we plan to completely redo our bathroom too, that is why I'm on this site & reading everything I can.
Ours is similar to yours & we plan to knock out the wall to the bedroom which is adjacent to the bathroom, it's a closet there & we are going to expand the bathroom to house a large whirlpool tub & seperate glass shower.

A friend of mine in town did just that & hers is gorgeous. We always wanted to expand it but always thought we'd have to go out toward the back yard, but never thought of losing that closet in the spare bedroom.

I can't wait to do it & believe me, I'm so pleased with my kitchen, we did plan to go all new in there, since we totally gutted the room.
Good luck with your bathroom re-do!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here