Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
james_008

basement bathroom and utility room insulation

james_007
12 years ago

My basement is big (1600sqft). It is open space and bare to concrete wall and floor now. we have a bathroom there and plan to have a utility room as well. The gas boiler and hot water tank are in that area already. I added French drain around the wall and a sump pump last winter in case the 500yr flooding comes earlier. I have put two floor drains (one in bathroom and one in utility area) and three cleanouts with the French drain system to make sure water will have a good place to go if any.

I will follow suggestions from experts here to finish the basement.

The floor will be insulated like this: 6mil ploy + 1" XPS foam board + 3/4 plywood.

The wall will be insulated like this: 2"XPS foam board + 2x4 frame + fibreglass + drywall.

But I have a bathroom and a planned utility room, and also have floor drains and cleanouts on the floor. how should I handle them?

1. utility room: I plan to have a separated utility room; seal poured concrete wall and floor with XYPEY. Because the pipes for air, water and gas have been there already, it is hard to do insulation in that portion. I lean to have no insulation on the wall and floor for that utility room. is this a right choice?

2. bathroom: should I insulate the bathroom floor as other rooms?

3. floor drain and French drain cleanouts: should I make those floor drain and cleanouts available after the insulation? if yes, that means the insulation is nor sealed properly. If no, ...

What's your advice?

Comments (2)