Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paneling a basement

Posted by rugby15 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 07 at 22:28

I'm building a small wine cellar in my basement. Can I attach paneling to furring strips to already Drylocked walls? Do I need any insulation, if so what would be best? I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paneling a basement

Do you anticipate attaching anything to the walls like shelving or anchorage for tall furniture resting against the wall? If yes, furring strips are not substantial enough. Personally I am not a proponent of furring strips because, unless the additional 2.5" of space is critical, they may not adapt for future changes/needs.

What is the quality (rigidity) of the paneling and what c to c will be the span? Lightweight (flexible) paneling anchors better when glued to an existing wall surface. Drywall is no more difficult to hang than paneling and probably less costly.

Wine keeps best at a uniform temperature, so insulating the interior walls will be beneficial.

This should not make the build-out any more difficult. Generally using the right materials actually simplifies projects. Good luck.

o

If the paneling is for decorative purposes, note that the printed hardboard paneling is very sensitive to moisture changes and will show ripples in the surface in almost every installation.

o

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to frame the walls w/2x4's, add ridgid foam board insulation, and moisture resistant drywall, and finally put on the paneling.

I'm going for an old brick look. I priced out using brick veneer and it was way too expensive, hence the faux brick paneling.

o

Sounds like you're on the right track. Be certain to use a pressure treated 2 x 4 for the base plate.

We saw a TV program several years ago where a wine cellar was created using clay tile. The concept was very simple and unique so we adapted it for use in our basement. The tiles were very reasonable. A photo is amongst others of our basement linked from "My Page".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here