Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atv_freak

Questions On Finishing Atlanta Basement

atv_freak
9 years ago

I am going to be finishing part of our basement soon (got baby #2 on the way and he/she will be taking over our upstairs guest room and we would like a place for grandparents to sleep).

I've got a couple of questions and any advice is greatly appreciated...

1. How do I handle the tiered cement block that is open on top? Do I need to cover it up or can I leave it open (if it'll be behind a framed wall)?

2. What is the correct way to handle hvac/pipes that have to run perpendicular through a proposed wall? I'll be doing a drop ceiling so I guess it doesn't have to be pretty up there, but since the other half of the basement is the garage, I'm assuming it'll have to be sealed off pretty decently. Do I just drywall around them as best I can and then use a lot of expandable foam to fill in the gaps?

3. And the most common question... insulation? I've tried to do a bunch of reading on it, but the more I do the more I get confused! Do I need to go the xps route over the block being that I'm in Atlanta or can I just do fiberglass? Or is both the best option? I don't have any serious water problems... I do have to run a dehumidifier in the summer, but I think that is mostly due to terribly sealed garage doors.

Thanks!

Doug

This post was edited by atv_freak on Mon, Dec 15, 14 at 22:05

Comments (3)