Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
band joist and block webs

Posted by winchester_2008 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 9, 08 at 19:49

I am going to have closed cell durafoam sprayed on already framed walls 2 x 4. Should the foam cover the open webs on my block that are exposed? also if some of the studs are only 1/4 inch off block will that create a problem

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: band joist and block webs

The webs on concrete blocks are the solid part of the block.

If you're asking should the polyurethane spray cover part of the block as well as the sill plate and joist ends, "yes." The foam will also fill up the space between the existing framing and the concrete wall.

Filling the voids in concrete blocks doesn't do much for energy efficiency. (See link.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Insulated blocks

o
RE: followup

If you're spraying the entire wall with cc foam, that's the absolute best, though usually not the most economic, insulation method in my opinion.

o

I already had fg insulation up and drywall and found condensation. Tore it all out down to the framing and having it sprayed. my concern is some of my studs are only 1/4 inch off of cinder block wall. will they be able to get enough spray behind them to do the trick?

o

Yes. It goes on as a liquid and immediately starts expanding. Be sure to mention your concern to the installer or his supervisor. Below is a pic of the foam I use.

Spraying BASF closed cell insulating foam
pic: Residential, Design Build Magazine

o

I plan on cutting blocks of foam board to put in the tops of the exposed block that the sill plate sits on,that way the guy can spray a continuous coverage from the top of the band joist down over the sill over top of the block and down the wall between the framing.any way i can talk to you worthy

o

The top row of blocks were most likely filled on site with mortar or were semi-solid or solid, so that there's no need to put anything into the blocks.

You can pm if you wish. Click on "worthy", go to e mail option.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here