Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

What's the best way to fill cracks?

Posted by marc00 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 15, 06 at 19:39

Hi All,

Seems like there's a lot of knowledge in this forum. Hopefully some of you guys can point me in the right direction.

I have a ground water problem in my basement and I'm in the process of dealing with it by installing two sump pumps. The second sump is now in and the basement seems to be dryer but when the ground water rises above the bottom of the foundation water water still seeps through the cracks in the foundation. The foundation is poured concrete and is about five feet below grade.

I figure my next step is to chisel the cracks out and fill them with hydraulic cement. I tried this last week with a hammer and chisel but it was a slow go. I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations on tools that would make this job easier because I have a lot of cracks.

I'd also be curious to hear from folks that have successfully dealt with ground water problems and what was done to shore up the basement. If this doesn't work the next step is a french drain.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: What's the best way to fill cracks?

I'm now dealing with cracks in our poured concrete foundation.

It seems that injected urethane is the way to go nowadays (if structural integrity is not compromised), since it can expand up to %50 of the size of the crack, thus keeping it sealed with any future movement. (The hydraulic cement would be worthless in the same scenario.)

There are DIY kits online, but they seem kinda expensive - but what do I know. But then again, they are complete, ready-to-go kits.

I found a local supplier who sold me the urethane and some injection ports. I got some lessons from them, and the main thing in my case is to be sure the crack is wet sufficiently and completely throughout since that's what the urethane reacts with. You fill the cracks from bottom to top through ports that are glued onto the surface of the crack. There's a way to wet the crack through the ports, as well.

Soem urethanes are "two-part", which I "think" means the water or other reactant is injected and mixed at teh same time as the urethane. Kind of a double-barrel caulk gun.

Search for "crack injection" and "foundation repair" on the web and you'll fid lots of stuff and some "how to" video clips. Search the yellow pages under foundation repair, basement waterproofing suppliers, etc. for local folks.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here