Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another insulation ?

Posted by bear76 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 14, 08 at 18:24

I'm going to spray foam the rim joist area. If my basement is 95% below grade, only about 6-8" above grade all the way around, is there any reason for insulating more than 2' down the wall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another insulation ?

There are usually more economic ways to insulate the rest of the basement walls, especially if this is a DIY project.

o

OK, shoot. Tell me more.

It's not an economic thing, I just don't want to insulate where it's not needed.

o

See link for the US Department of Energy recommended insulation levels for different parts of the US.

Even if economics don't matter--meaning that you don't care about reduced heating or cooling costs--appropriate insulation levels will make your home more comfortable.

I was referring to the costs of reaching the appropriate insulation level in a basement; usually, sprayed foam is the most expensive method.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recommended insulation levels

o

I get the spray foam for free from work (left overs from 2-3 jobs should be enough). That article was informative but didn't ansewr the question. At what point does the ground outside the wall provide enough insulation? Homes built into the ground (from what I've read) don't need insulation because the ground stays at a constant, comfortable, temp.

o

Four feet down, the year-round average is usually 50˚-55˚ F, except Alaska, where there is permafrost-and all the places where four feet down is below the water table.

By the way, earth itself is a poor insulator--only R2 per foot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Earth Houses need Insulation

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here