Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Propper vapor barrier installation for basement

andrelaplume2
12 years ago

Everything I have read tells me I do not need a vapor barrier but I also do not think it will do any harm....plus if ever there was an inquiry (sell the house?) I want to make sure I have done what the inspectors wanted....I take a lot of pics...and no I have not gotten ispectors involded on this basement refinish I have been working on for 4 years now.

Anyway, I have 1.5" xps up, studding in front and kraft backed fg in place...ready to drywall.

Last step would be the vapor barrior that really should never even come into play. In fact I have a few areas, closets, where the slotted xps was put up and I drywalled directly to it...attaching drywall to the fur strips in the slots. Its been this way for 3+ years...not noticing any problems...still if the idea is to protect the fg, I should do it...if only to make a future inspector happy.

BTW, If someone knows that PA code says its *not* necesary...stop me now.

Otherwise, what mill do I need and how's best to install it.

Comments (3)

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh yea...this basement has one vent for heat from our heat pump...we may drop one more. I am not sure it does much...I put in an area where people will sit. We understand the basement might get as low as 62 without supplenmental heat but thats fine with us....won't be down there too much I added on interior wall around where my bilko door is. I put fg in that interior wall since I had it. Is a vapor barrior ever required by code in this instance...the temp between the two rooms could differ by a few degress I guess...

• worthy
    12 years ago

The latest versions of the family of International Construction Codes are in force in Pennsylvania.

And, according to the Green Building Advisor, those Codes do not mandate vapour barriers/retarders in basements. Viz: "402.5 of the IECC, which notes that vapor retarders are not required on a basement wall, on the below-grade portion of any wall, or on a wall constructed of materials that cannot be damaged by moisture or freezing."

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well, I have concrete walls....are they considered items that 'can not be damaged by mositure or freezing' or is it the fact that I have 1.5" of xps covering them that lets me skip the step....

I guess there is always a chance my local area would require it but I think I am leaving it off...DRYWALL TIME....I guess I could use moisture resisitant drywall...was looking forward to trying the stuff that was 30% lighter though!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor