Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cement 3/4 bathroom questions

Posted by MStolp (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 12, 11 at 17:14

We have a large unfinished completely cement basement. It is dry for the most part with the help of a good bleach cleaning and dehumidifier. We are at a loss with the main used bathroom by us and guests as it's the only shower. There is no window, vents, and there are pipes on the outside of the cement boxed in room. It's only 4 ft wide by 9 ft space (large shower on one side, toilet in the middle and sink at the other.) the pipes stick out a ft from the wall. Every wall is cement. So we are at a loss at where we can even start. It's damp and the wood door is starting to crawl with mold. The shower painted walls are starting to bubble and it needs to be cleaned often so mold won't grow. There also is not one outlet in there and the light has to be turned on and off by screwing the bulb. If I can better understand my options of what can be done, I can start a budget, but because I have no idea, I am still at square one. Is a vent possible? Would I tile from floor to ceiling? We know the ceiling will need to be replaced, and the awful looking utility sink type vanity we would like to replace. Please help with any suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cement 3/4 bathroom questions

Install a power vent for the bathroom ducted to the exterior. Not--as I sometimes see--to another part of the basement. When the washroom is not in use, keep the door open and the dehumidifier running.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here