Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

What to do.....Area Around HP Blower in Basement

andrelaplume2
13 years ago

My air handler / blower portion of my heat pump currently is enclosed on two sides.... The left side and back. I am considering walling off the right side. I can see no reason for access since all the wiring and connections are in the front or left side and there would be just enough room to get in and around back from the left...though it would be tight...maybe 12" to 18" all around. I'd wall pretty much up against the right side of the unit if I do so. I am however considering putting in 2 sliding 24" or 28" doors. Why...just in case for some crazy reason they would need more access. Also, there would be a 1 foot space in back of the unit I could stack stuff in for storage...walling it off pretty much wastes that space.

A benefit of walling it off would be that a return could be put through the wall into the unit at some point....but I probably could find another spot for the return.

A negative on the doors is that I already have 2 closets with a total of 4 doors plus a door leading to my work room...thats a lot of doors. Still I wonder if there are other benefits to pretty much having the thing accessable from the front and two sides. The unit is brand new and I would hope to not have to replace it for years.

Thoughts....